[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Dec 24 19:03:12 PST 2008

At 06:59 AM 12/24/2008, James Gilmour wrote:
>As I have said many times before, it is my firmly held view that
>single-winner voting systems should NEVER be used for the general
>election of the members of any assembly (city council, state
>legislature, state or federal parliament, House of Representatives or
>Senate).  All such assemblies should be elected by an appropriate PR
>voting system.

I'll agree on that, and would go further. All officers should be
elected in the assembly. Make sure that the assembly is truly
representative, then allow it to "hire" officers. And fire them.

Using deliberative process for elections avoids the whole mess of
election paradoxes, and does, indeed, guarantee majority support for a winner.

Abuse of this process is usually related to disproportional
representation, not to true proportional representation.

Asset Voting, which produces, in theory, nearly perfect PR, on the
cheap, can also keep the assembly representative, if the electors,
the public voters in Asset, can recall seats and reform them.