[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Wed Dec 24 17:06:51 PST 2008

Abd,

Abd wrote about "center squeeze":
<snip>
The problem happens with
reasonable frequency with Top Two Runoff, and the principles are the
same. *In this way,* IRV simulates TTR, though, in fact, it is a
little better in choosing among the remaining two. IRV would not have
elected Le Pen. But it missed the very clear, and broadly supported,
Jospin, who would have won against Chirac, and not by a small margin.
If Jospin had gotten 1% more of the vote, the runoff would have been
between Chirac and Jospin, the voter turnout would have been lower
because of lower preference strength, but I'd have predicted, from
what's known, 70% or more of the vote for Jospin.
<snip>

It sounds as if you are saying IRV would have missed electing Jospin over
Le Pen and Chirac...but perhaps by "it" you mean two round runoffs??? If
you want to promote two-round runoffs over IRV, you shouldn't use the
example of the French election, because it shows the exact opposite of
what you seem to claim here. That French presidential election underscores
how IRV also is better than runoffs that reduce the field to two after the
first count. Extremist Jean Marie Le Pen only gained the runoff with 17
percent of the vote (barely more than his share in past elections) because
the center-left split its 40 percent-plus pool of votes among several
candidates. Under IRV, by reducing the field gradually, the center-left
vote would have coalesced behind prime minister Lionel Jospin, putting him
well ahead of Le Pen and within striking range of Jacques Chirac. This is
an example of how IRV can avoid the center squeeze that is far more
probable with your favored two-round runoff method.

Another shortcoming of two-round elections is the sharply lower voter
participation (primarily among lower income voters) typical in one of the
rounds of a two election system. I know you have written favorably about
such drop off in voter turnout as an effective method of "compromise"
(voters who don't care enough stay home). I disagree.

Terry Bouricius