[EM] "Unmanipulable Majority" strategy criterion (newly amended version)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Thu Dec 4 01:58:53 PST 2008

Chris Benham wrote:
> Regarding my proposed Unmanipulable Majority criterion:
>
> *If (assuming there are more than two candidates) the ballot
> rules don't constrain voters to expressing fewer than three
> preference-levels, and A wins being voted above B on more
> than half the ballots, then it must not be possible to make B
> the winner by altering any of the ballots on which B is voted
> above A without raising their ranking or rating of B.*
>
> To have any point a criterion must be met by some method.
>
> It is met by my recently proposed SMD,TR method, which I introduced
> as "3-slot SMD,FPP(w)":
>
> *Voters fill out 3-slot ratings ballots, default rating is bottom-most
> (indicating least preferred and not approved).
>
> Interpreting top and middle rating as approval, disqualify all candidates
> with an approval score lower than their maximum approval-opposition
> (MAO) score.
> (X's  MAO score is the approval score of the most approved candidate on
> ballots that don't approve X).
>
> Elect the undisqualified candidate with the highest top-ratings score.*

[snip examples of methods failing the criterion]

You have some examples showing that RP/Schulze/"etc" fail the criterion.
Do they show that Condorcet and UM is incompatible? Or have they just
been constructed on basis of some Condorcet methods, with differing
methods for each?

I think I remember that you said Condorcet implies some vulnerability to
burial. Is that sufficient to make it fail UM? I wouldn't be surprised
if it is, seeing that you have examples for a very broad range of
election methods.

> 93: A
> 09: B>A
> 78: B
> 14: C>B
> 02: C>A
> 04: C
> 200 ballots
>
> B>A  101-95,  B>C 87-20,  A>C 102-20.
> All Condorcet methods, plus MDD,X  and  MAMPO and  ICA elect B.
>
> B has a majority-strength pairwise win against A, but say 82 of the 93A
> change to
> A>C  thus:
>
> 82: A>C
> 11: A
> 09: B>A
> 78: B
> 14: C>B
> 02: C>A
> 04: C
>
> B>A  101-95,  C>B 102-87,  A>C 102-20
> Approvals: A104, B101, C102
> TR scores: A93,   B87,   C 20
>
> Now MDD,A and MDD,TR and MAMPO and ICA and  Schulze/RP/MinMax etc. using
> WV or Margins elect A.  So all those methods fail the UM criterion.

I did a bit of calculation and it seems my FPC (first preference
Copeland) variant elects B here, as should plain FPC. Since it's
nonmonotonic, it's vulnerable to Pushover, though, and I'm not sure
whether that can be fixed at all.