[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Dec 3 09:13:57 PST 2008

At 06:25 AM 12/2/2008, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

>That's not really what an approval cutoff is. An approval cutoff is
>used by some methods to denote "the candidates above are those I can
>accept; those below, I really don't like". At least that's what I
>understand, though some methods may reward strategic placement of
>the cutoff as well.

They must, actually. I.e., the voter may have some absolute and
sincere thought, "I won't accept anyone but my favorite." But if the
voter knows that sticking with this will make their vote moot, they
must compromise somehow. And, by definition, this compromise is "strategic."

I haven't seen the idea mentioned before my recent posts, but a
question that a voter might ask themselves is "Which would I prefer,
to elect this candidate or to see a runoff take place under the
rules? If the voter would prefer to elect the candidate, the voter's
shift in approval cutoff that might result is a sincere answer to the question.

"Strategic" could be translated as "With consideration of the overall
desires and welfare of the entire electorate, together with my
personal preferences." In other words, "strategic" isn't bad. It
distorts votes, however, and we'd prefer to encourage maximally
accurate voting, because a good voting method can then truly optimize
the result, *but* prohibiting or trying to prevent strategic voting
could have the opposite of the desired effect, i.e., it could make
results worse, not better. Remember, DSV can improve Range results.
And so can honest voting. Indeed, I don't know the details of the DSV
simulations, but if I recall my reading of the paper correctly,
honest voters had the option of directing the automatic strategic
voter to not optimize their vote. I don't know what mix of voters
doing or not doing this was used, or how full-DSV -- every voter
optimized -- compares to honest Range. (Again, "honest" here means
accurate utility expression, which is, after all, not necessarily
easy! It would mean that any significant preference is expressed, and
that preference strengths were also expressed, which is the hard
part. I've assumed that they are not expressed with full accuracy,
that many Range Voters, intending to vote sincerely, will essentially
vote a Borda ballot. equal preference strengths, or something close,
unless there are very few candidates. They would also shift their
votes to the positive half or negative half, which will likewise make
preference strengths more accurate.

But I don't expect voters to wire themselves up to a polygraph and
measure their emotional responses to candidates. We do not need fully
accurate votes, as long as they are approximately right, because the
votes will be averaged, effectively, over many voters.

(I'm truly warming up to positive/negative Range, with the default
vote being midrange, i.e, 0, with max being +N and min being -N.
Conceptually, it is much easier to understand. Range 2 is a piece of
cake. (And, in that simple a method, 0 means "accept but not prefer
and not strongly reject" ... In higher Range, the Accept level can be
set off from zero.)

>The odd thing is that no party has actually done that. If using
>Approval would let a party pick a candidate that's more likely to be
>accepted by thevoters, then why wouldn't they? They could only gain.
>The same holds if what the parties are really interested in is
>finding candidates at +/-0.5, not +/-0.001 - a better election
>method would let them do so more consistently, which would give a
>better result (to them).

It's an interesting argument, with some merit, that it's a bad idea
because nobody is doing it. However, Approval has been used for a
long time. The Venetian Republic survived for 700 years, and used it
as part of their election process for the Doge.

There is another explanation: existing leaders got their positions
under the existing system. Make the system better, it destabilizes
the power structure, there will be some changes. People don't like
change that may take some power away from them, on average. (And,
legitimately, they can be afraid that a newly empowered membership
may make decisions unwisely, being inexperienced.)

The big obstacle to decent election reform is not, however, those who
cogently oppose it. It is inertia and lack of interest. Until things
get really bad, most people don't even think of change. They have
other things to worry about. Many, many special interests benefit, at
least they think they do, from the status quo. (That's not surprising
and is not a condemnation of them; indeed, they are *adapted* to the
status quo, they evolved to be able to use it and to benefit from it.)

But a rising tide raises all boats. In fact, better democratic
methods will avoid such nasty phenomena as violent revolutions, class
warfare, confiscatory tax structures, etc. They will *incorporate*
the best of what exists, and not drastically remove power from those
who have some legitimacy in exercising it. They will *use* the
experience of the people who have been in control, they won't pull a
Cultural Revolution and beat them, humiliate them, and send them to
dig weeds. It does not harm society if some people have more wealth
than others, it can benefit it, if the wealth is justly obtained and
used. But neither should any special interest be allowed to harm the
society as a whole in order to pursue its special interest.

Special interests are an essential part of the system, and will
remain so. What is needed is only balance.