[EM] Yee/B.Olson Diagrams (YBD's): the next step

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Tue Dec 2 05:34:59 PST 2008

Disorganized thoughts:

Standard deviation could be considered to be interchangeable with the
spacing between the choices.
Wider spacing is equivalent to tighter standard deviation.

I keep imagining a way to explain this as starting with a blank black
space and colored dots representing the choices. Then visualize the
population as a grey cloud of various intensity hovering over the
choice space. The animation moves the population center to near a
choice, fills in a pixel accordingly, jumps to near another choice,
fills another pixel, and after a couple repetitions of jump and pixel
fill the cloud jumps to the top left of the range and begins an
accelerating scan over the space filling in a final image.

I like the idea of scanning over a quadrant to fully show what result
images are possible and how they change. In the end a small-multiple
layout would probably make sense. Printed it might be an 8x8 array of
1" images.
Hmm, I could bash this out in perl this afternoon. Most of my spare
compute cycles are running on my redistricting project right now, but
I could probably make a rough draft with tiny 100x100 graphs and run
that pretty quick.

I expect that showing the effect of standard deviation on IRV should
be showable by a linear series varying standard deviation on an image
that in some default case shows an interesting failure mode. I'm
guessing that the size and shape of the defects will scale in a pretty
regular way based on standard deviation.