[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Dec 1 15:30:09 PST 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> Jonathan Lundell wrote:
>> It's a reason that "(in)sincere" isn't very good terminology for
>> everyday use; likewise "manipulation". They're fine terms when well-
>> defined and used in the context of social choice theory, but they
>> carry a lot of baggage. A voter is, in my view, completely
>> justified in ignoring the name of the election method ("approval",
>> for instance) and the instructions (vote in order of preference)
>> and casting their vote strictly on the basis of how the ballot will
>> be counted.
>> (Which is why I'm partial to ordinal systems; it seems to me that I
>> as a voter can pretty easily order candidates without considering
>> strategy, whereas the decision of where to draw the line for
>> Approval, or how to assign cardinal values to candidates,
>> explicitly brings strategy into the picture.)
>
> For ordinal systems, it's pretty easy to consider what a honest
> ballot would be, assuming a transitive individual preference. "If A
> is better than B, A should be higher ranked than B". It's not so
> obvious for cardinal systems. What do the points in a cardinal
> system mean? We can get some measure of a honest ballot by
> transporting an ordinal ballot into a cardinal ballot: if you prefer
> A to B, A should have a higher score than B. But other than that,
> what can we do? This seems to be a problem of cardinal systems in
> general, not just a particular implementation like Range (or
> Approval, if you consider Approval Range-1).
>
> Thinking further, it would seem that cardinal systems can solve it
> in two ways. Either the points are in reference to something
> external ("how much would I like that X wins in comparison to that
> nothing changes from status quo"), or it refers to a subjectively
> defined unit ("how much do I 'like' X" for an individual definition
> of "like"). I think ratings, as commonly (and intuitively) used, are
> of the second part, but that leads to problems with the aggregation
> of the points. If one voter likes many things and another likes only
> a few, how do you compare the two preferences? Ranking gets around
> that since it only asks about relative information (though one could
> argue there's a very weak form of this problem with equal-ranking;
> how different does your opinion have to be of two candidates before
> you no longer equal-rank them?).

I don't really see a need for equal-ranking in a single-winner
election. As a voter, I'm answering the question "if you were
dictator, of this set of candidates, who would you choose?". I don't
really need the option of naming two candidates to the same office; if
I really have no preference between them, I can flip a coin, or choose
the tallest, or ugliest, or whatever.

> I guess what I'm trying to say is that the problem of discerning a
> honest vote from a strategic (optimizing) one seems to be inherent
> to all cardinal methods, because we can't read voters' minds. That
> is, unless the external comparison can be made part of the ballot
> itself.

I suggest that the problem is worse than that: that the voters can't
even read their own minds, in this sense. Suppose that I would have
ranked Edwards > Obama > Clinton in the recent US primaries. Fine, I
can make Edwards=100, but I really don't have the foggiest idea what
it would mean to make Obama=75 as opposed to Obama=50. Do I like
Edwards "twice as much" as Obama? What can that possibly mean? It
seems to me that range voting (including approval) immediately reduces
to a purely strategic exercise. And what I'd prefer to do is to
eliminate (to the extent possible) the motivation to strategize at all.