[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 16 22:08:15 PDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 3:49 , Jonathan Lundell wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>>> In the US, at least, voting by mail has become so prevalent that
>>> I  wonder whether it's worthwhile making voting machinery
>>> absolutely  impregnable to vote-buying. All else being equal,
>>> sure, why not, but  if we trade off other desirable properties to
>>> preserve secrecy, and  leave the vote-by-mail door unlocked....
>> There are two topics here:
>>     I LIKE the secret ballot, have had it most of my life, and
>> know many others have similar desires for good reason.  That
>> thought inspired my words at the top.
>>     Vote buying needs discouraging, but I concede perfection is
>> less essential here.
>>
>> Voting by mail requires humans obeying rules.  I believe the rules
>> in NY still require placing the ballots in an anonymous stack
>> without humans reading their content while having the voter's
>> identity associated.
>
> California, too, or a method to that effect. It's vote-buying (or
> coercion) that vote-by-mail enables.

I wonder what kind of a vote-by-mail system is in use there. If it is
just based on ordinary mail that one can send from one's home or
anywhere (and doesn't offer any way to cancel and replace the vote)
then that seems to offer opportunities for coercion and vote buying.

The early voting system that I'm used to (and that is very popular)
is however one where you vote under the observation of an election
official (that can be e.g. a post office worker that takes care of
early voting) that then puts your secret vote that you have put in
one envelope into another envelope (under your eyes) that he will
send to your local election authorities.

This method offers the election officials some more chances to
violate your privacy if they so wish (since your name will appear in
the papers inside the outer envelope) (not probable though) but
coercion and vote buying (without the involvement of the election
officials) is about as difficult as with traditional voting at the
official voting site on the election day.

Juho