[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sat Aug 16 22:32:30 PDT 2008

On Aug 16, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Juho wrote:

> I wonder what kind of a vote-by-mail system is in use there. If it
> is just based on ordinary mail that one can send from one's home or
> anywhere (and doesn't offer any way to cancel and replace the vote)
> then that seems to offer opportunities for coercion and vote buying.
>
> The early voting system that I'm used to (and that is very popular)
> is however one where you vote under the observation of an election
> official (that can be e.g. a post office worker that takes care of
> early voting) that then puts your secret vote that you have put in
> one envelope into another envelope (under your eyes) that he will
> send to your local election authorities.
>
> This method offers the election officials some more chances to
> violate your privacy if they so wish (since your name will appear in
> the papers inside the outer envelope) (not probable though) but
> coercion and vote buying (without the involvement of the election
> officials) is about as difficult as with traditional voting at the
> official voting site on the election day.

In California, something like 35-40% of voters vote by mail (the
percentage is increasing), and it's just like mailing a letter. One's
ballot comes in the mail, you mark it at home, and drop it in a
mailbox to return it. I assume that Oregon has a similar method, but
I'm not personally familiar with it.