[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 15 15:00:02 PDT 2008

>> Also, such a scheme would be, I think, highly susceptible to agenda
>> manipulation: who decides which issue is to be effectively on the
>> ballot, and who decides that the candidates associated with X and
>> not-X are sincere?
>
> Citizens are free to form such lists. Each list may support and oppose
> any topics, and the lists are supposed to collect similar minded
> candidates together. Ballots may be just votes for individual candidates
> (not for issues). I don't see any specific problems in this case.

Does that mean that a single candidate can be a member of more than one
list? If so, how are ties handled? Depending on how that's done, it
could cause complex interactions depending on which party a voter
decides to support.

If a single candidate can't be on more than one list, then agenda
manipulation still has some power. If a candidate has to commit to a
list that is based primarily on issue X, but where he also supports Y,
he has to make a choice (distinct from the choices voters make) of X
over Y. That could be technically solved by making 2^n "lists" for n
issues, but then you'd have to let candidates be on multiple lists, and
pure "party-neutral" PR becomes much simpler.

Tree lists would help, but say that a voter likes Y, but not X any more
than the candidate in question does. Then he wouldn't want to have his
vote contribute to any of the other X-favoring candidates.