[EM] Can someone point me at an example of the nonmonotonicity of IRV?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 13:18:51 PDT 2008

All election methods have vulnerabilities. These monotonicity
failures may look bad on paper but in real life elections they are
typically not that harmful. If some IRV voter asks if he should vote
sincerely or falsify his vote somehow due to the non-monotonic
properties the general recommendation is anyway to vote sincerely. It
is not easy to use the monotonicity failures to intentionally improve/
falsify the results (in typical large public elections).

There are thus different kind of vulnerabilities. Some may make the
methods unusable while some are just theoretical vulnerabilities with
no significant practical impact on real life elections.

My favourite approach is to study and list all these properties and
then assess their impact in real life elections as sincerely as we
can (i.e. trying to avoid hiding the problems, exaggeration, negative
campaigns etc.). Maybe this one should be listed as one of the
vulnerabilities of IRV but as a relatively harmless one.

Juho