[Election-Methods] RE : Re: peer-reviewed work that is critical ofIRV

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 03:13:52 PDT 2007

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax  > Sent: 29 September 2007 04:16
> At 02:24 PM 9/28/2007, James Gilmour wrote:
> >I found
> >only one comment, on the Discussion page for "Plurality Criterion",
> >where "Voting matters" is described as "an on-line
> >IRV advocacy publication".  That is a gross misrepresentation of
> >"Voting matters".  It is not an advocacy publication of
> >any kind.  It is a technical journal only.  It is very unusual in
> >that it is dedicated to technical aspects of the STV
> >voting system  -  as it makes very clear.
>
> Let me explain this. There is clearly a strategy on the part of
> FairVote to cloak IRV with the mantle of STV.

I am not concerned here about how FairVote or anyone else represents or misrepresents IRV or STV  -  we'll argue those
cases elsewhere on their merits, as we see them.  My concern in this sequence of posts was simply that the technical
journal "Voting matters" was being misrepresented as being something it is most certainly not.  And I hardly think that
one incorrect comment on one Wikipedia discussion page could possibly justify the original statement: "Voting Matters is
not highly respected on Wikipedia".

James Gilmour