[Election-Methods] RE : Re: peer-reviewed work that is critical ofIRV

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Sep 28 20:16:00 PDT 2007

At 02:24 PM 9/28/2007, James Gilmour wrote:
>I found
>only one comment, on the Discussion page for "Plurality Criterion",
>where "Voting matters" is described as "an on-line
>IRV advocacy publication".  That is a gross misrepresentation of
>"Voting matters".  It is not an advocacy publication of
>any kind.  It is a technical journal only.  It is very unusual in
>that it is dedicated to technical aspects of the STV
>voting system  -  as it makes very clear.

Let me explain this. There is clearly a strategy on the part of
FairVote to cloak IRV with the mantle of STV. They do not want people
to know that when you take STV and use it single-winner, the really
nasty characteristics that are largely suppressed when it is
multiwinner come to the surface. As long as it is a two-party system,
not much of a problem. In that context, IRV keeps the third parties
in their place and prevents them, mostly, from spoiling elections.
Which is good for the major parties, but not for the third parties!
If a third party can spoil an election, it might actually have more
power (though it is a dangerous tool).

So this language, this definition of STV as being "IRV" is part of a
coherent and possibly coordinated strategy to create desired
impressions in the electorate. It's been working, because most of us
have been asleep at the switch. The people who know about election
methods are the ones that can recognize these little sleight of hand tricks.

Look, I thought myself that Robert's Rules recommended IRV. What made
me think that? Well, I read the FairVote propaganda, looked at the
source they provided conveniently, and, hey, it looked good. Did I
notice the crucial difference? No, not until I got hard-nosed about
the IRV article and started looking at everything with a jaundiced
eye. The first thing I noticed was not the elephant in the living
room, it was just the smell..... i.e., that RR was not actually
recommending IRV, it was describing "preferential voting." And it
wasn't a "recommendation" of some specific method, it was of a
*class* of methods, and one example was given. And I still though the
example was IRV. But then, looking over associated material, the
matter of "majority came to my attention. And the spinners were being
*very* careful to reverse my edits that were clarifying the language
used in describing IRV to imply that it was a true majority decision
being made. Then it all started to unravel.

RR was not recommending IRV, but something *like* IRV, but different
in a crucial way. True to RR traditions, they were insisting on a
*true* majority, not a fake one created by tossing out ballots with
valid votes.

And, yes, there are clear sources that show that a vote is not
invalidated because it is for a non-winner or a non-frontrunner. It
stands, for the purpose of calculating the "majority," as long as it
is not spoiled or does not contain a vote -- at least one, which
might be required to be first rank or not -- for an eligible
candidate. Other voters are considered to have abstained. They have
*not* abstained if they cast a truncated ballot, even though this is
exactly the argument that is being raised against what I've written.
The rules are explicit about it.

So RR is not recommending what is explicitly described as IRV in the
IRV article! It isn't exactly recommending at all, but what it
describes is *better* than IRV in an important way.... and there is
explicit discussion of the significance of this, plus explicit
discussions of the problems with "preferential voting."

They want the "recommendation" of Roberts Rules, but they don't
actually want people to read it. They just want the cachet. And they
similarly want the tiara of STV, which, while it is not perfect, and
we know of better methods, is actually quite good if the districts
have more than a handful of members; it gets better with a larger
number of members per district.