[Election-Methods] peer-reviewed work that is critical of IRV

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Sep 28 19:34:59 PDT 2007

At 10:41 AM 9/28/2007, Howard Swerdfeger wrote:
>Not peer review, but Ka ping yee of...
>http://zesty.ca/voting/sim/
>has run sum simulations of election systems in 2d space
>and it shows quite a few problems with IRV.
>these guys (warren smith) also have some "Yee" diagrams
>http://rangevoting.org/IEVS/Pictures.html
>these show behaviour under different elections.
>

>In General IRV is bad at ties and near tie elections...in general

Right. But the zealous guardians of the IRV Official Line have
specifically objected to Yee as biased and self-published, and to
Warren Smith .... don't even mention him, the banshees make such
piercing noises that we would not be able to sleep for a week.

Right now, the easiest path to get such information into the article,
I think, is through Pro and Con arguments. My plan is to rearrange
the article into an "Arguments" section that would examine each claim
(made by either side, pro or con) in turn. Pro and Con argument
sections, I've seen many time, do not allow direct comparison of arguments.

The question of certainty regarding fact is one which has long been
an interest to me. People think that certainty is elusive or
impossible, but actually, it's not all that difficult. The
"encyclopedic" writer writes with certainty, if he or she is being
thorough and very careful. If you source a statement, and you don't
claim that the statement is true, but your source actually makes that
statement, you are writing the truth, period. That's not the end of
the story, for there is also the question of balance, and Wikipedia
articles also require, if they can get it!, balance. It is not enough
to collect a bunch of pro arguments, even if all sourced and properly
qualified, while neglecting con arguments, or vice versa. It is easy
to lie with the truth, and, in fact, it is the most successful form
of lying, for lying through false statements is much more easily
exposed. (It can still be difficult, but that's another story.)

It will take time, but I consider the IRV article to be politically
quite important, and worthy of serious attention at this time. Google
"Instant Runoff Voting," and, indeed a whole serious of topics, and
what is at the top? Wikipedia. Many people are going to take their
information from that article. We serve the public, and the public
interest, and the interest of better elections in the future, by
acting to ensure that the article is fair and balanced. If people are
going to adopt IRV, I think they should do so with eyes wide open,
not dreaming that it will balance their checkbook and put a cherry on
every sundae. And, of course. "reduce negative campaigning." It's
been really beautiful to watch these night-dwellers squirm when their
beautiful propaganda piece is being transformed into something more
accurately informative. They really can't stand the truth! And it's showing.

And, if they knew it, they wouldn't be doing what they are doing, for
they are essentially tarring their own cause. It looks pretty
suspicious when you actively try to suppress dissent, and the
beautiful thing about Wikipedia is that every edit is recorded and
the author identified. While these people are using the ability to
edit "anonymously" and through sock puppets or meat puppets to large
effect, I don't think they realize just how visible they are. And it
will come out. A cause that must resort to deception is a lost cause.

And if anyone thinks my edits to the article have been wrong, or
unfair, or biased, well, it wouldn't be surprising at least some of
the time. That's the Wikipedia process, but I am actively
participating in the attempt to find consensus, and that's what
counts. I'm being pretty careful, though. I have *not* been attacking
IRV, just attacking propaganda, spin, and just plain false claims.
It's amazing what happens when one actually follows some of the
sources used to back up claims. Sometimes what is in the sources is
the opposite of what the claim implied.

FairVote is usually more sophisticated than simple false claims,
though it may be turning out that some of the historical information
they have provided about Bucklin, which we already knew was so
heavily spun that you could weave a coat with it, is also false.
Usually what they do is to spin and exaggerate with sometimes subtle
shifts of language. The whole Robert's Rules issue is a very good example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Instant-runoff_voting#Robert.27s_Rules_of_Order_in_Introductory_Section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Instant-runoff_voting#Continuing_problem_with_Introduction.2C_Robert.27s_Rules

Does Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, "recommend" "Instant
Runoff Voting"? FairVote would certainly want us to think that. What
is the source for the claim. Is it Robert's Rules of Order? No.
Actually not. The source is .... FairVote. Is the quotation taken out
of context? Well, it could be, but in this case it appears that it is
not. Rather, the claim is what one can come up with, easily, if one
does not very carefully read what is there. Most people who are not
election experts, in fact, would miss the major problem, and, irony
of ironies, it is over an issue that impacts a major Pro-IRV claim.

Robert's Rules dislikes any election being won by a plurality, and
the default is that it can't happen. If the bylaws are silent on it,
no officer can be elected without the consent of a majority of those voting.

And, guess what? The rules are explicit that a "majority" means a
majority of all those who have cast a ballot containing a valid vote
for an eligible candidate. And such a vote is not "invalidated" by
being cast for the wrong candidate, not one of the top two in the
last round of an IRV election.

There is actually a series of problems with the claim that "Roberts
Rules recommends IRV."

The source for the claim is another Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_methods_in_Robert%27s_Rules_of_Order

Which refers to RONR as a source, and is accurate as far as I've
noticed, but then sources as well:
<http://www.fairvote.org/?page=1797>Robert's Rules of Order on
Instant Runoff Voting, Fairvote.

Notice the title. FairVote wants to frame the discussion in the rules
as being about "Instant Runoff Voting." That's not what RONR calls
what it describes. And it is not exactly "recommending" what it does
describe. It is giving an example of a preferential voting method,
and it is clear that there are others, and it is not recommending one
over another. Nor is it really recommending preferential voting, for
it explicitly describes the serious problems with it, the possible
failure to find a compromise candidate. It prefers election by
majority vote, obtained by repeated balloting, which, in fact,
properly done, can discover a Condorcet winner (at least "election by
motion," which is a default method under Robert's Rules, will do this.)

The Wikipedia article on Voting Methods in RRO is pretty good, and
accurate. I have edited the link above to replace, in the displayed
text, "on Preferential Voting." I certainly won't be surprised if
someone squawks.

I *want* them to squawk. When the bird squawks, the hawks know where they are.