[Election-Methods] Landau and Schwartz set

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 12:09:36 PDT 2007

> I know that the Landau set is a subset of the Smith set, and I know
> that Schwartz set is a subset of the Smith set, but is Landau set the
> subset of the Schwartz set, or is the Schwartz set the subset of the
> Landau set?

Both are possible, so neither is generally true.  Given the votes

4:A>B>C
1:B>C>A
3:C>A>B

the Landau set is {A, B, C} and the Schwartz set is {A}.  Given the votes

3:A>B>C>D
3:B>C>D>A
2:C>D>A>B
1:D>A>B>C

the Landau set is {A, B, C} and the Schwartz set is {A, B, C, D}.

--
Rob LeGrand, psephologist
rob at approvalvoting.org
Citizens for Approval Voting