[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there'reonly 2 factions

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Sep 2 14:08:55 PDT 2007

Dear Abd ul-Rahman,

>> > I dislike, by the way, describing voters as selfish if they vote in
>> > their own interest. That's the default, they *should* vote in their
>> > own interest.
>>
>> That is probably a language problem again. I thought "selfish" was a
>> synonym for "acting in my own interest only", is it not? However, the
>> latter was what I meant to say.
>
> Yes, it is a synonym for that. However, the implication here is that
> not only is one acting in one's own self-interest, it is a narrow self
> interest that does not care if nearly half the electorate ends up with
> a maximally unsatisfactory outcome, as long as they personally gain a
> dime. This is actually sociopathy, someone who truly thinks like this
> and who is not afraid of consequences would slit your throat for
> pocket change.

And yet you think "they *should* vote in their own interest"?

> In a Range poll, social utility is maximized if everyone votes
> *absolute* utilities, accurately.

Only if "social utility" is defined so that your statement becomes true
by definition (and becomes a triviality thus). Welfare economics,
however, does not define "social utility" as the sum of individual
utility, it rather defines "social welfare" in some more sophisticated
ways which we already discussed earlier several times.

>> > What I ended up suggesting was that the problem is resolved if the
>> > voters negotiate. It's possible to set up transfers of value (money?)
>> > such that the utilities are equalized, and that the benefit of
>> > selecting C is thus distributed such that the A voters do *not* lose
>> > by voting for C. If they vote for A, they get A but no compensation.
>> > If they vote for C, they get C plus compensation. If the utilities
>> > were accurate -- Juho claimed that they were *not* utilities, but
>> > that then makes the problem incomprehensible in real terms -- then
>> > overall satisfication is probably optimized by the choice of C with
>> > compensation to the A voters, coming from the C voters. Certainly the
>> > reverse is possible, that is, the A voters could pay the C voters
>> > compensation to elect A, but it would have to be much higher
>> compensation!
>>
>> I understood this. But I consider it quite absurd that the A voters
>> should be "compensated" for anything.
>
> This is because you refuse to look at the underlying utilities.
> Because you don't believe in utility, in particular in *commensurable*
> utilities, you have only preference left, and from the raw preferences
> it appears that C is the best compromise.

I love to look at utilities. I did just that to infer that C is a good
compromise in the example I gave. By the same reasoning (which I will
not repeat again here) it also follows that C would be *no* good
compromise had the ratings been
55 voters: A 100, C 20, B 0
45 voters: B 100, C 20, A 0
Do you still think only the rankings matter? I don't and never did.

> Indeed, if that is all the information we have, C is the best compromise.
>
> But what has been overlooked, which is precisely what makes the
> arguments about compensation mysterious to Jobst, is that compromise
> means that all parties lose something, compared to the ideal for them.

Yes, *all* parties, that's exactly the point! So no one of them has to
compensate the other, since neither can hope to get their will for
certain. They have to compromise. After all, that's what societies are
about. By the way, compensation is no mystery at all for me, it is
simply not justified in the situation at hand.

> Suppose it is realized before the election that B is not a viable
> candidate, and we do not consider B at all. What we have left is
>
> 55: A>C
> 45: C>A
>
> What is the optimal outcome? For ranked methods, it is obvious.

You think so? May I assume then that your "obvious" best outcome is the
same as mine, namely electing A with 55% probability and C with 45%?
Because this would make it quite attractive to all of them to search for
a compromise that all would like better than this lottery.

(This is how far I got into your post.)

Yours, Jobst