[Election-Methods] MMPO: the best 'transitional' method?

Diego Renato diego.renato at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 07:38:37 PDT 2007

As a newbie in this list, I have no preference about the best voting method.
I am aware that instinctively Condorcet criterion is desirable if consensus
does not exist, but approval or range can produce good results too.

However, based in Bucklin experiences in USA, I think that any method that
violates later-no-harm (except asset voting) is likely to provide incentive
to bullet vote and became a costly version of plurality. If later-no-harm is
indispensable for a transitional method, MMPO seems the best alternative
because it is nearly Condorcet-efficient and still easy to understand.

After people be accustomed with multi-option voting, and depending of the
detected flaws, other method may be considered, like SSD. (This thought does
not violate my previous opinion about advantages of Improved Approval Runoff
in low-knowledge populations).

I apologize for any error. My English is poor.