[Election-Methods] Is this Condorcet method reasonable?

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 30 07:29:54 PST 2007

Hi,

In Diego Santos' example (below) the A voters who strategically
downranked B had a strong incentive not to do so, assuming they were
aware the B voters intended to truncate.  This highlights some
advantages of the truncation strategy used by the supporters of the
sincere Condorcet winner (B):

   1. It does not need to be kept secret, and benefits by being announced.
      Announcing their intention to truncate creates a group strategy
      equilibrium (more powerful than a Nash equilibrium) in which
      the sincere Condorcet winner is elected, assuming the other
      voters believe the announcement is credible.

   2. It encourages sincere voting by other voters.

That assumes the voting method satisfies the Minimal Defense criterion
(similar to Mike Ossipoff's Strng Defensive Strategy Criterion).  For