[EM] Confirmed advice for readers disturbed by my posts.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 27 09:44:23 PDT 2007

SUMMARY: if you find a writer tedious and useless to read, don't read
him! Instead, skip his posts, or even set an email filter so they go
into the trash, or, if you want to be able to go back if it turns out
that a post was important, into a "Not read, discard after a period" folder.

I've done this for certain writers, not because they are tedious, per
se, but because they are endlessly contentious, and if I don't read
their posts, I'm not tempted to respond, thus triggering more useless
argument that goes nowhere. Now, to the extended consideration of
something that just happened here:

We were discussing paper ballots, and Chris Backert, who had been
writing to this list occasionally since February, chimed in with a
private email to me:

>With all due respect I think a better education on the topic would boggle
>your mind a bit less. You are incorrect that in your assumption that a
>"simple" paper ballot would satisfy the requirements, nor would it be a
>workable solution for most local jurisdictions.

I responded, taking it back to the list. I suggested that my need for
education was generic and that I gained nothing from a comment that I
needed a better one, unless provided with more specific guidance.
Further, a comment that I'm "incorrect," without any information as
to how, was little more than a one word post: "Wrong!" Such a post
conveys as much information as a No vote in a poll, do you agree with
[Assertion], which is very, very little. On a discussion list, it is
so useless as to be offensive, with one exception: where no one else
comments and it might be assumed that the assertion therefore enjoyed
consensus. It would still be better to explain *why* one disagrees.
There was not a clue in Mr. Backert's mail to me.

Mr. Backert responded with

>I was only trying to give my opinion that your comments were a bit brash and
>made without a thorough command of the issues at hand. For one, saying
>"can't we just use paper ballots" ignores the millions of American's who are
>unable to use paper ballots.

There are two aspects to this: one repeats his opinion about my
ignorance, and the other raises a substantive issue that was actually
a red herring, as some research and further discussion showed. There
are already many possible solutions for the millions involved -- that
wasn't an exaggeration, and commentary from some questioning the
number was, again, very much a side issue -- and current law, and
HAVA, deal with this. Paper ballots satisfy the requirements of HAVA.
Explicitly.

I responded again, dealing with the substance, and ultimately did
more research on HAVA, which turned up quite a bit of interest. HAVA
does not create any problem with paper ballots, which, contrary to
what Mr. Backert had asserted, fully satisfy HAVA. He was wrong, and
I showed why. Of course, I might have erred in any of a number of
different ways. I depend on the list to pick up on any of them that
are important; this is the value of these kinds of discussion groups,
which do not, in themselves, resolve any controversies, but which can
develop, among those who pay attention, a kind of consensus on at
least some aspects of some issues. At the very least, I learn what
arguments are understood and accepted, and what ones are not. It can
be extremely useful later. Participating in mailing lists can be a
very effective way of gaining an education, and probably surpasses,
with one exception, taking the best available course on the subject
from a real expert. The exception is that the expert may provide a
better overview, more quickly. But on any narrow topic, the expertise
of a good list is vastly superior to that of any single individual.
This is, indeed, part of the theory behind my own political efforts:
to harness the distributed intelligence of the entire population.

I do not hold some idea of what the "right" decisions are. I consider
my own opinions as worth pursuing, with the power of one vote and one
voice. But I also know that I make mistakes and fail to understand
situations. I'm trying to set up situations where decisions that are
made are based on the best possible intelligence, and what democracy
does is, properly set up and used, to do just that. I'm trying to set
up *smart* organizations, not ones that will confirm my prejudices,
which is what you get when people who already agree form political
action groups. They reinforce each other. Consider all the IRV
advocates. How much dissent is voiced, within their forums, when
blatantly false arguments are advanced for IRV?

As a contrast, look at the Range Voting list. Try to make a false
argument for Range Voting there! It won't stand without challenge.
Even aspects of Range Voting that are sufficiently established to be
placed on the Center for Range Voting web site are frequently
challenged, and, over time, changes take place. This is democratic
process (even though CRV is not, formally, a democracy, it is a
non-coercive oligarchy).

In any case, Mr. Backert never did enter into a substantive
discussion over the issue of paper ballots. I received another
personal email from him:

>While I appreciate your zealous interest in this conversation, I have
>neither the time nor the desire to continue it. I mean no disrespect, but I
>think this is wasting the time of listers.

By the way, readers be warned. Unless a mail to me is accompanied by
a request that it not be made public, I may often post it where I
think there is something of general interest. Sending a mail to me is
no more private than sending a letter to the editor of a newspaper.
Unless it specifies this. And, just as an editor may disclose the
content of such mail if the editor chooses, under certain
circumstances, so may I. *Usually* a polite mail to me, even if it
tells me that I'm totally ignorant -- but is not gratuitously
abusive, after all, I might indeed be ignorant -- that requests
nondisclosure will be respected, as some readers of this list know,
who have sent me such mail.

I responded, very briefly:

>Then don't waste your time, if you think that! As to the listers,
>each of them can make a choice. Nobody is forced to read what I
>write, and I wouldn't want it even if it were possible.

At this point, most sane individuals would have recognized that it
was, indeed, their choice to read or not to read. However, I've been
computer conferencing since the mid 1980s, and I have long experience
with a certain subset of the population which comes completely
unglued when I write. Some of these people might seem fairly stable,
otherwise. But tolerate the unchallenged presence of my ideas and
expressions, no. I saw one conference moderator who, after long
discussion on many topics, was so incensed that she went back and
deleted every post either from me or quoting material from me on her
conference, going back many months, and then, when she realized that
she had made largely incomprehensible swiss cheese out of her
conference, she deleted the entire thing. Countless hours of writing
by herself and others.

Something like this happened again, fairly recently; I subscribed to
a list on a topic of interest, and, after months, did very little
more than quote some lines from the material describing the list and
the list rules from the list home page. I was not only banned from
the list, the moderator -- who was anonymous but whose identity was
pretty obvious -- also deleted all posts similarly to the much
earlier example above. Quite clearly an imbalance person. We aren't
seeing anything that extreme here.

When I was banned from the Approval Voting list, it is fairly
apparent to me that there was something like this happening with the
moderator there. It was not really about the list itself, and the
largest factor may have been private email where I, entirely contrary
to what the moderator expected, I'm sure, presumed to advise the
moderator as to how, with due process and fairness and, indeed, ease,
create and enforce the rules the moderator was asking me to
anticipate and obey on my own. I never did violate any rules, but I
was banned anyway. But that moderator did not erase anything and did
not prevent me from reading this list, perhaps knowing that this is
impossible anyway. It's also impossible to keep me from posting to a
list, but I did not attempt to circumvent the moderator's ban. I'd
consider that a bit rude.

Mr. Backert had no power to ban me from writing to the Election
Methods list; I'm sure he would have if the power had been his. I
find it quite interesting that there are people, ostensibly in favor
of election reform, who have no tolerance for free speech, nor for
actual democratic process. Examples abound.

Mr. Backert responded, again privately, to my brief post, with:

>For the first time since I started this conversation I think you are right.
>Because of your seamlessly endless stream of inane chatter I've unsubscribed
>from the list.
>
>Please don't waste any more of my time responding.

Let's suppose that he is accurate in describing what I write as a
"seamlessly endless stream of inane chatter." Certainly I'm Mr.
Chatterbox, to some degree. Anyone familiar with the Mr. series of
children's books?

Let's also suppose that Mr. Backert is actually interested in Election Methods.

Why did he unsubscribe? It's pretty simple to avoid reading my posts,
and simple as well to set a filter. Anyone who does know how to set
filters in their email program to automatically process mail with
certain characteristics, such as being from an individual or a list,
is well advised to learn how to do it. I receive a huge volume of
mail, and life without filters would be far more complex and tedious.
I start with a heavy-duty spam filter, a separate program called
Mailwasher, which enables me to deal with approximate 500 spams per
day in a minute or two. Because I use this, my instructions to my
domain host are to keep their IP blacklist filter turned off. My
Friends list and other filters in Mailwasher, such as ones that
detect list mail and don't allow it to be deleted, then allow known
good mail to get to me, even if the source IP is blacklisted, which
happens to yahoogroups quite frequently. Then when I actually
download my mail into my email program (I use Eudora), all list mail
is presorted into folders for each list. I almost never delete list
mail. I occasionally set a filter for some individual who writes to
lists. But mostly, if I learn that I'm not usually interested in what
a writer says, I do no more than glance at the first screen of posts
from that person.

Mr. Backert unsubscribed, I'll assert, because something about my
writing pushes a powerful button for him. It was obvious from his
first comment, actually. There was more to it than gentle advice to
me. I ultimately did some of the research he suggested, I took him
seriously and assumed that, perhaps, he knew far more about the topic
under discussion than I. That remains possible, but he never did
betray the knowledge that he must have had, to be justified at all in
his otherwise quite arrogant comments.

Many people have written dismissively about what I assert on these
lists. Some of them are quite knowledgeable, Chris Benham, for
example. But when Benham considers something I've written ludicrous,
he usually explains why, and sometimes, though it can be tedious,
underneath all of this is something quite interesting. I've come to
quite a better understanding of the Majority Criterion and its
implications, as a result of belaboring, with Chris, matters that may
have seemed obvious to others. Obvious if you overlook certain subtleties.

There have been quite a few people who have complained about my
lengthy posts; I'm thinking about people who say that they appreciate
some of what I have to say, but are upset that it is buried in so
much verbiage. To these I say that, while I'd like to write more
succinctly, and can when necessary, I don't ordinarily have the time.
Jan Kok generally writes far more succinctly, sometimes to say in a
few words what I will say in hundreds or even thousands. However, Jan
also notes that his "succinct" writing takes him many hours to write.
Writing well about these subjects can take extraordinary amounts of time.

Here is what I suggest: if it is too much for you to read my posts,
read them only when they interest you enough to make it worthwhile.
If I write something that is specifically important, depend on the
list to pick up on it and repeat it, whether to agree or to argue
with it. Let the list filter the posts for you.

For such people, simply glancing at the first screen should be enough
for them to know if they want to read further. When I myself consider
something quite immediately important, I'll put it in that first
screen. I write important things elsewhere, but they are there for
the future, not necessarily for now. I do not write solely for the
current list, I write for the archives that will exist long after I'm gone.

And I also write to learn. I find it fascinating to go back and read
what I wrote a year ago, or years ago. Sometimes it's quite good!
Other times, I can see where my views have shifted as I've learned more.

As to Mr. Backert, his comments were harmless, even if slightly rude.
Too bad he could not benefit from the ensuing examination of the
issue, he might have learned something. It's also too bad that he
will probably not be able to learn from this final response of mine
since, respecting his explicit request, it has not been sent to him.
He might have learned something about himself.

If I found myself engaged in such a response myself, I'd seek out an
EMDR therapist and try to find out why. EMDR is highly effective, I
know from personal experience, it is really a major breakthrough in
psychotherapy, though it does continue certain streams that
previously incorporated elements of it, but less explicitly and less
powerfully. EMDR can often resolve obsessions and compulsive
behaviors, including severe PTSD, *totally*, in a few sessions,
whereas more traditional methods can take years with very low success rates.