[EM] HR811 and Federal paper trail legislation

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri May 25 13:16:16 PDT 2007

At 07:50 PM 5/24/2007, Kathy Dopp wrote:
>On 5/24/07, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I am surprised you say "millions".  Does this reflect the
> illiteracy level?  Or some other factors > affecting ability to
> complete ballots?   If so, what factors?  What type of voting
> method could be > used effectively by those unable to use paper ballots?
> >

>So if you are claiming that there are not millions voters with
>disabilities who cannot use paper ballots, then let us know.
>
>How many are there?  If not millions? Then how many?

This is distressing. Mr. Gilmour did not claim there were not
millions. He stated he was "surprised." He did not, in fact, express
any doubt about the number, and he asked for details. the response he got?

No details, just a question in return. If not millions, then how
many? The number was asserted, and the one who asserted it would
properly be expected to justify it. However, that was not the point at all.

The point was that there are many who cannot use paper ballots, it is
asserted, and if this is true the exact number does not matter, as
long as it is large enough to justify the investment in accomodating
them. If it is one person, we would not invest millions of dollars to
do it. If it is one percent, which it well could be, I'm not
suggesting that as any kind of limit, quite a lot could be spent to
accomodate them, though it should still be a balanced number.

The real point, and the reason why I actually assert that the comment
about millions of people who cannot use paper ballots is a red
herring, is that *any* specific method will not be usable by some
people. Alternate methods of voting can and should be provided,
within reason, to everyone. "Within reason?" Well, there is a limit,
no specific number, to what can properly be spent to accommodate an
isolated voter. In the real world, there are funding limits. If we
devote a million dollars to enable a handful of voters to vote
easily, we don't have a million dollars that could save thousands of
lives in another context. We must make choices. Absolutes generate
bad decisions, when they aren't flexible.

Now, the standard alternative, the default, which is actually in use,
is to allow those unable to vote directly using a paper ballot, to
vote an absentee ballot with assistance. Generally, if I am correct,
it is unlawful to assist another to vote. But an exception is made
where a person is unable to use the ballot directly. I don't know the
details, but the point is that an absentee ballot can be filled out
by anyone designated by the voter, where this is necessary.

This is, indeed, one reason why I find the decision of a Florida
court to discard all absentee votes on the grounds that a few hundred
of them, at most, may have been corruptly influenced. In a word,
bought, though the circumstances could just as easily have been
described as the offender helping some voters to vote, perhaps some
homeless people or loiterers. The court, in its reasoning, claimed
that absentee voting was a privilege, not a right, and that therefore
it could not stand in the way of the right of the plaintiff, the
losing candidate, to a victory; this was a truly bizarre case, since
what the absentee vote did was to turn a victory for that loser into
a majority failure; there was then a runoff, and the Republican, the
one whose unofficial aide was accused -- not him -- won. Without any
absentee vote. The court decided that, because of the alleged vote
buying, the absentee vote was suspect, and, by its privilege
argument, could be discarded entirely, and then the original election
was won by the Democrat. So the runoff, where the election in a
pairwise contest actually chose the Republican, became moot.

Absentee voting should not be a privilege. For some, it is an
essential element in the right to vote.

And once you have that, you have a means of dealing with any
disability at all. With a paper ballot. The objection was spurious
and irrelevant.

Now, I should research HAVA. But I must say that I have, just from
the name of the Act, a serious suspicion about it. Have you heard the
standard Libertarian joke? I read a variation on it in the
Smithsonian Magazine a while ago. A scientist was capturing sturgeon
and determining which ones to keep for various purposes aimed at
restoring sturgeon population in a U.S. river, seriously threatened.
He caught this sturgeon in a net, and said to it, "I'm from the
government. I'm here to help."

Help America Vote Act? Did we need help that we did not already have?
Indeed, much of the problems that had arisen recently were a result
of various means adopted ostensibly to help us vote, or, alternately,
to make it easier or supposedly more accurate to count the vote. Hand
counting of pieces of paper can be done with high accuracy and speed.
My own experience as a printer required me to do this on occasion.
Banks do it with paper money all the time. There is even standard
equipment that will do it. Hand sorting of paper, likewise, can be
done very quickly. What is tedious and inaccurate is what seems to be
a standard procedure for hand counting ballots: a person holds up the
ballot and reads off of it the vote on each race, and a clerk tallies
the vote. And that's it. Slow, and inaccurate. Multiple places to
make mistakes, and no redundancy, no verification, beyond the
observers. The observers cannot watch reliably every aspect of this.

I've never been in a counting room, so I don't know exactly what they
do, I have only a few reports of this or that. But the procedure
above was, in fact, described to me, and it is inherently unreliable
and slow. I'm sure there are reasons it is done that way. But they
may not be valid ones, on balance, and if we were considering
switching to machine counting, we should also consider improving hand
counting procedures.

And because one of the things that slows down and makes hand counting
expensive is security, I've suggesting ballot imaging. If ballots are
imaged, the ballot information becomes redundant. If one copy (the
original or the image) is sequestered, alteration to the other
becomes detectable or at least verifiable. If there is more than one
copy made, alteration then requires altering *two* copies for the
original vote to become unrecoverable.

I'm suggesting, bottom line, that the entire process be rethought.

I've heard only one substantial objection to ballot imaging, and I
consider it spurious and misled or misleading. And that is the
privacy of the voter. The privacy of the voter is not violated by
ballot imaging. First of all, there is only even an issue if the
images are public, which is merely an independent part of the
proposal. Concern about privacy would only require, at most, that the
images only be available to those with legal need to see them.
Secondly, ballots do not identify voters. Even if they are not
English speakers, an issue that was raised. Under circumstances where
a special ballot would identify the voter, as being the only one or
one of a few in the precinct, other arrangements can be made, such
ballots could be transported to be counted with other similar
ballots. There are risks involved in this, too, and so I would avoid
special ballots entirely! And that can be done with no inconvenience
to the non-English-reading voter at all.

I'm actually getting a little angry at the objections, because it
seems that a good and simple idea is being rejected without cause.

The one difficult issue is the issue of vote buying or vote coercion,
where a voter marks the ballot to make the vote identifiable. My
contention is that this is already a problem, if there are those who
wish to coerce votes or buy them, and public ballot imaging will
actually make it more difficult to alter election results through
such means, not worse. But this applies only to public imaging.
Confidential imaging has no more risk than what we already have: the
risk that those who have access to the ballots can verify how a voter
voted. They can already do that with any paper ballot, just as they
can do it with any voting machine imaginable, if they are determined.
There are ways.

Paper ballots are probably one of the more secure ways to interrupt
various forms of election fraud. The problem with high-tech solutions
is that a lot is invested in one particular aspect of the problem,
and then comes a hacker or spy or someone with time and resources,
who figures out how to bypass the security, and it was all for
nothing. Consider the Microsoft operating systems: a huge investment
is made to make them as secure as possible, but the ingenuity of
those determined to bypass security is endless. A way can be found.

What really must be done is not to single out one method and claim
that it has this or that problem, but to balance all methods and the
problems, to determine how such problems could be addressed with each
method, and then determine the various costs of each solution. It's
improper to reject one solution on its own, because in the real world
what we have is always choices. It is not *this* solution or the
ideal. It is a choice, almost always, between two non-ideal
solutions. Each of them has flaws that could be used to argue against it.

Paper ballots have been around a long time, and the flaws with them
are fairly well-known. The big problem with a new solution is that
the bugs in it may take some time to discover.

Ballot imaging is really just an extension of the right of the
interested parties to observe the election process. It's already
possible for people, including people who might be in cahoots with a
vote buyer, to see ballots. We cannot and should not eliminate this
possibility by taking ballots out of public view, it is an open
invitation to fraud, which thrives in secrecy and invisibility. We
are far safer with the process taking place in public, with
*everyone* having an opportunity to observe. Indeed, I would have
webcams watching every aspect of the process, with the resulting
video available in real time as well as being recorded. Vote counting
should be a totally open and transparent public event. The actual
voting should be as protected as possible.

I think that ballot imaging would make security higher, not lower.
And I've seen nothing, so far, to make me question that. It's hard to
coerce somebody if everyone is watching. Ballot marking is visible,
by definition, if it is not visible, it would not be in the images
and the images would not assist in vote confirmation.

Whereas it is quite practical to mark ballots invisibly, where
ordinary examination would not see the marks but the conspirator
could readily detect them. I can think of many ways, and some of them
I understand have actually been used. For example, a small pinprick
at a critical location. Then there are fingerprints, made even easier
if the voter puts a UV flourescent substance on their thumb.

You can eliminate all these by using untouched forms of recording
votes that cannot, theoretically, identify the voter. But the problem
is that all these are circumventable, and a totally new problem is
introduced: the possibility of altering votes with no discovery
possible through audit. So what if the machine prints a record, which
the voter deposits in a box, these records being available for audit.
Fine. Does the voter touch this record? If so, the voter can be
identified. Easily. It's getting easier all the time, as technology
advances, but it's been relatively easy, particularly with a
cooperative voter, for a long time, through fingerprints.

I think the best approach is to take a simple process, do it entirely
in public view, and watch it closely. A pattern of vote buying and
confirmation through marked ballots would show up like a sore thumb,
with so many people watching. Thousands of eyes and intelligences
involved. The criminals would be so outmatched that I think they
would not even try. The system is vulnerable to corruption in other
ways that remain accessible. Ballot imaging will have no effect on
efforts to manipulate voter eligibility, for example, for partisan purpose.

If you want to spend thousands of dollars, instead of buying votes,
spread lies about the opposing candidate. It is more efficient than
trying to buy votes, which is generally too expensive to see wide
use, and the latter is illegal and risky, the former less so. Less
illegal and less risky. Ever seen an election overturned because the
winner condoned spreading lies? Or a candidate convicted because of
complicity in it?