[EM] HR811 and Federal paper trail legislation

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri May 25 02:12:42 PDT 2007

> From: Kathy Dopp > Sent: 25 May 2007 00:50
> On 5/24/07, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Chris Backert > Sent: 24 May 2007 19:39
> >
> > > For one, saying "can't we just use paper ballots"
> > > ignores the millions of American's who are unable to use paper
> > > ballots.
> >
> > I am surprised you say "millions".  Does this reflect the
> illiteracy level?  Or some other factors > affecting ability
> to complete ballots?   If so, what factors?  What type of
> voting method could be > used effectively by those unable to
> use paper ballots?
> >

> So if you are claiming that there are not millions voters
> with disabilities who cannot use paper ballots, then let us know.

I was not making any claim.  I was just genuinely surprised that the estimate should be so high and
I was genuinely seeking information.  Effective access to the voting process is extremely important.
Here in the UK we do make special provision for electors who are blind or visually impaired.  We
also make provision for electors who, for other reasons, require assistance to complete the paper
ballots.

Michael Poole's later post provided some of the answers.  But like Michael, I am still wondering
what type of voting method could be used effectively by those who could not complete a paper ballot.

Interestingly, some of "the problems" we had in the recent elections for the Scottish Parliament
where two votes were recorded in different columns on one ballot sheet would have been avoided had
we used voting machines, because the machines would not have allowed the voters to put two Xs in one
column.  Of course, there are some very good reasons for not using voting machines.  (If you do look
at the astronomical figures for rejected ballot papers in the Scottish Parliament elections you must
bear in mind that an unknown proportion of the rejected ballot papers were left blank intentionally
by the voters.  These were NOT mistakes, but they were counted among the rejected.)

James Gilmour