[EM] danger of coercion (Re: First U.S. Scientific Election Audit...)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu May 17 20:45:31 PDT 2007

At 06:32 AM 5/17/2007, Juho wrote:
> >> What would be the most likely scenario where the coerced person could
> >> not avoid being coerced? I'm assuming that a typical coercer would
> >> not be a member in the team that counts the votes and he/she would
> >> not have open access to the ballots.
> >
> > That's not reliable.
>
>I asked for the most likely scenario. I'll take this to mean that
>maybe the most likely scenario is one where the coercer sits in the
>vote counting team.

The victim does not necessarily know where the coercer, or someone
allied with the coercer, sits. I don't think, in addition, that we
can make any general statement about how likely it is that the
coercer has inside access. We can, indeed, conclude that access to
what is visibly expressed on ballots will broader the actual access
of one who would coerce votes, but it also will make coercion schemes
more visible and more likely to be discovered. I don't think we can
predict whether ballot imaging will, overall, make coercion more or
less likely. My intuition is less, but I can easily understand that
someone would think that it would be more.

However, the level of cooperation with coercion is very unlikely to
be large; if it looks like it is headed that way, procedures can be
revised. *Massive* coercion is actually easier to detect and defeat,
what would be very hard would be the isolated coercion of one
individual over another, such as a spouse coercing a spouse. I think
this, however, would remain extremely rare. And vote coercion should
be treated as a serious crime. It is a dangerous business for the
coercer, actually, much more than for the coerced. If my vote is
coerced, the cost for me to comply is small. It is really only when
large numbers of votes are coerced, in some pattern, that a different
level of cost emerges. One vote is only one vote, it is vanishingly
rare that it affects an election outcome. As I mentioned, if evidence
emerges, as it must with public imaging, that there is more than
minimal coercion, steps can be taken to interdict it. Those steps
have a cost. One of the obvious steps is to shut down the imaging
program. I consider that a high cost, frankly. There would have to be
more than a rare instance of coercion to make the disease less costly
than that particular remedy.

>An alternative method is to require potential additional candidates
>to collect a list of e.g. 1000 supporters before the election and
>thereby become "regular candidates".

My own suggestion has been merely to require registration. The
proposal Juho makes misses the point of write-in candidacies. They
are for candidates who were unable to get on the ballot. Ballots are
printed in large numbers, with fairly onerous security, and they must
be widely distributed. They cannot be printed the day before the
election, it would practically guarantee that some polling places
would not get their ballots. Presses can break down, printing can be
delayed. You don't want to push it. There are absentee voters as
well, who need ballots in advance of election day.

Registration would result in the candidate receiving a registration
number, which could be indicated on the ballot, where needed, using
standard marks, avoiding the written name, which would be far more
reliable for identification.

But my real point is that we don't need cumbersome restrictions to
solve a problem that is practically nonexistent. We are trying to
avoid coerced voting where the coercer requires the voter to make the
ballot identifiable. Quite simply, I expect this to be vanishingly
rare. When you get millions of people voting, "rare" may be almost
guaranteed to happen sometimes. But that does not mean that we stand
everything on its head to prevent a rare occurrence. Rather, we
consider the cost of that occurrence and balance it with the cost of
attempting to totally prevent it.

My advice to someone who is a victim of attempted vote coercion
requiring validation? If you fear that your vote will actually be
observed, that if you do not mark your ballot as required so that it
satisfies the coercer, you will be subject to serious harm, vote as
required. And if you can find any authority you trust, report that
you are doing so. Your vote is visible, by the conditions of this
problem. You can prove that you voted in this way. And you could, for
example, wear a wire when you go back to your dear tyrant husband and
tell him that "I voted as you wished, dear, but I'm worried that the
mark I made will rub off." If he answers "You better hope it
doesn't," then, well, you can be relieved of his presence if that is
what you want.... otherwise ....

Of course, if you have enough time, you could have a similar
conversation before the actual election....

But if you think all this too risky, and it's your call, just vote as
directed. The cost to society is only one vote, and your life and
security are far more important than that.

>I propose simple ballots and separate ballots for each race in
>addition to what you said.

Not a snowball's chance in h e double toothpicks, as my wife's father
used to say.

The public expense is relatively large. What is the evidence that the
cost of not doing this is greater?

> >> Of course cameras and video equipment should be banned in the voting
> >> location. It is not possible to guarantee 100% that such recording
> >> will not take place but one should try.
> >
> > I disagree. And nobody searched me for my cell phone when I last
> > voted.
>
>No need to remove cell phones, just to make it clear to all that
>taking pictures is forbidden (maybe even punishable if extreme
>measures are needed).

Oh, dear. But vote coercion is already a serious crime. Why would
such a rule make any difference at all?

> >> Combining multiple elections in one ballot is a risk.
> >
> > Sure. But it is absolutely the norm. In fact, I've never voted in a
> > public election where there were not many races on the single ballot.
>
>Bad design. I have never voted in an election with several races on
>one sheet. (Usually there has been only one race per election, but
>when there have been more the ballots have been separate.)

Really? Where do you live? What elections have you participated in?

> >> The risk of allowing access to the ballots to everyone is much
> >> riskier than having multiple vote counters (maybe not local people)
> >> each counting a small portion of the votes.
> >
> > You say so. What is the evidence?
>
>No evidence, just the understanding that allowing the ballots to be
>inspected by whoever has interest, with sufficient time to do careful
>analysis and with whatever techniques may reveal something of the
>identity of the voters of the ballots.

If the voters do not choose to make that information explicitly
visible, it would be extremely impossible simply from looking at the
images. If you can gain access to the ballots themselves, it is more possible.

> > There is a lost performative in the last comment from Juho. "In
> > having multiple vote counters"....
> >
> > *Who* is going to "have" multiple vote counters?
>
>The society. Sorry for my non-native English.

"The society" has the same problem. To say "the society" avoids
specifying who actually counts the ballots. It avoids facing the
issue of how counters are chosen, and how that process can be
manipulated. If you *really* want the society to count the ballots,
you might warm to my idea! That is exactly what I'm proposing:

> > The fact is that this is what I'm suggesting: multiple vote counters!
> >
> > Ballot imaging would put the public in the position of being an
> > election observer, to a degree.
>
>The step of initial vote counting (and possibly imaging) may be even
>more critical point to safeguard.

What I'm suggesting is this: votes are typically deposited in a
ballot box. In the small town where I recently lived, the ballot box
was a machine that is probably over a hundred years old. It has a
slot on the top and a crank that you turn when you insert a ballot in
the top. The machine is designed such that you can insert a ballot
into it, but you cannot retrieve a ballot from it, without removing
the locks on a door. It is not always that elaborate, but the point
is that ballots are deposited into a secure box that is guarded. In
fact, these things, the boxes, get lost, or are deliberately
discarded in some places, but that is another story.... It would be
pretty hard to lose the box in Cummington, it was pretty bulky....

Anyway, at a certain point the box is opened and the ballots are
removed. I'm suggesting that this would take place with multiple
observers, and that the ballots would be immediately numbered,
imaged, and sequestered. When they are being imaged, they would be
available, under continuous observation, for imaging by observers.
Certainly an observer from each party, but also media observers. This
all happens together, in a place where everyone sees what everyone
else is doing. The handling of the ballots would be closely
controlled, but the best control is redundant observation of every step.

The counting is then done with images, not with the original ballots.
The counting is *easier* than now, because the security required is
much less. The images are expendable and replaceable. The counting is
done with a copy of the images, it is not as if there is only one
image and they handle it. That's the official count. It can, with
images, be done more rapidly than with actual ballots. But parallel
to this, media and other interested individuals would also be
counting the ballots, using images made available on the internet.
I'd personally find it interesting to count a few.

That's what the serialization is about. When I count a ballot, I
would enter the information on a form. If we assume that the serial
number is easily machine readable, that number could be automatically
filled in on the form; and so all I would need to do is check off
"votes" on a form that resembles the ballots, converting the image to
vote data. At the same time, I'd assume that automated recognition
would be doing the same thing. Anyone could run the automated
recognition software, so I'm not sure how much actual hand counting
would take place. Public databases would be built up with all this
information. There will be count conflicts, and these will be
flagged, and then people will pay special attention to those ballots.
Truly ambiguous ballots will be identified.

So a final report, which would represent a general consensus, would
segregate ambiguous or controversial ballots from those where there
is no controversy. None of this public process affects the official
outcome, which is announced from the official counting process.
Rather, the public process is a watchdog, it barks if there is
something wrong with the official count (which likewise reports exact
ballot information as entered, including the serial numbers). The
public count does not interfere with the official count.

If however, the public count shows discrepancies with the official
count, there are then immediate and clear grounds for a recount
request, and clear evidence to present, not speculation. And if the
recount leaves the discrepancies unresolved, then there would be
court action, and it might be necessary to examine the sequestered
ballots. I'd expect this to be extremely rare.

> > By the way, ever try to get correlated election data? Did people
> > who voted for Bush vote against the school bonds? That kind of data
> > has plenty of legitimate use. And you can't get it now, unless you
> > are willing to spend prohibitive amounts of money to get it....
>
>Sounds a bit dangerous from privacy point of view. The next step
>could be to include the voter's profession, age etc. Better be
>careful with these.

Juho, nothing was suggested about collecting private information.
What was suggested was that the information on ballots, which has
become *public* information, in fact, be made available. It's already
public information, you should understand that. You can get access to
it if you want. But it is inordinately expensive. I'm not sure how
much the media spent recounting in Florida after the 2000 election,
but it was a fortune. It was a consortium that did it.

If ballot imaging had been in place, and the ballots had been simple
paper ballots, the whole thing would have been over in a few days.
For the public to count the entire election with massive redundancy
should not take more than a day....

One of the big errors made in Florida was to require that a
*decision* be made on each ballot. Because of the nature of those
voting machines, there were lots of ambiguous ballots, with the
famous hanging chad. Instead of deciding on each ballot, the court,
in my opinion, should have ordered and instituted a classification
system. A set of observers would follow established standards for
identifying ballot characteristics. This was done to some degree, but
instead of requiring a decision on the vote result right then, I
would have had, instead, the *votes* of the observers recorded as to
the characteristics. The court would have then sorted it out by
determining the exact standards to apply: for example, a two or three
corner attached chad might be considered unpunched, and a one-corner
as having been punched. Specific overvotes would have been reported
instead of merely discounting the ballots and recording them as
spoiled. Etc., etc.

It's really what any scientific investigation would do....