[EM] danger of coercion (Re: First U.S. Scientific Election Audit...)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue May 15 08:11:58 PDT 2007

At 03:22 PM 5/14/2007, Juho wrote:
> > And, something seems to be forgotten here. Elections are about
> > aggregating votes. Rarely do a few votes matter.
>
>Well, this matters at least to the individuals (and the mentality may
>escalate to wider circles too).

That's true. However, if there is a coercion problem that is
spreading like this, it is a problem that surely will come to public
attention and additional security can be put in place. It is fairly
simple, for example, to prohibit all extraneous marks or signals on
ballots. Write-ins can be handled with a separate procedure. Note
that there is no way to avoid write-in coercion that is aimed at the
write-in vote. "Write my name in or I breaka you face!" But very,
very difficult for such coercion to actually elect this write-in candidate.

This is the point. Coercion, bad. But eliminating all possibility of
a coercer knowing that the victim has complied is impossible. And
keeping ballots private is not particularly effective.

What I'm saying is that (1) election coercion should be prosecuted
and treated as a serious crime, as, indeed, should election fraud. It
could be argued that election fraud is treason, because it is a
betrayal of the sovereign, which in a democracy is the people,
lawfully expressing their decisions through elections.

It is not a minor crime.

Why is it treated as such? Well, unfortunately, if election fraud
attains its goal, the mechanisms of law enforcement are under the
control of those who benefited from it. Only an awakened public can
deal with a problem like this. Depending on the government to do it
without serious general public support (to the point of a demand) is,
quite simply, naive to the max.

Election coercion is not, from the point of view of the victim, the
most serious form of coercion, by far. For one thing, it is fairly
easy to comply, and the cost is low. So for a truly powerless victim,
the danger can be avoided. *Of course* we don't want voters to be put
in that position, but ballot imaging does not actually increase the
risk seriously. Remember, in order to have any effect on attempts to
coerce voting, the ballot must be distinguished in some way. This,
all by itself, will leave traces that something unusual is happening,
and the authorities -- if there is a public demanding it -- can
actively investigate, not wait for a victim brave enough to come forward.

If the ballots are imaged, the public will know that they are being
marked! If not, how will they know?

Discarding marked ballots is dangerous because it creates a ready
method for those bent on election fraud to invalidate ballots. It can
be done in a practically undetectable manner. Glue a piece of pencil
lead to the tip of a finger. Pick up the ballot in a certain way, it
is marked. Pick it up in any other way, not.

But if someone is marking ballots in this way, in numbers sufficient
to affect elections, it will show on the images. Or there will be, if
rules are in place to specially handle marked ballots, a large number
of such ballots where images are not available. In any case the
public will be able to tell something is amiss, if routine ballots are imaged.

The ballots should not be discarded. They should be counted under
tighter rules about who can see them. They should be segregated for
rapid special access if needed for audit.

My point is that the problem can be addressed far more effectively
than by routinely keeping ballots out of public view. Remember, a
coercer, under present law, can already arrange to view ballots
directly. So how does routinely keeping them secret protect against coercion.

The protection is in the privacy of the voting booth and in measures
intended to prevent connecting the ballot with the voter. This can
only be defeated, generally, with the collusion of the voter, which
is why the arguments about groups afraid to express their opinion
because it would be unpopular is totally off the mark. Such people
are not in any way put at risk by ballot imaging.

>An example of impact to bigger groups: Females are a majority out of
>which considerable part could feel the pressure of their husbands.

Some husbands might claim that their wives are a bigger risk....

I've never heard of a husband demanding that a wife vote in a certain
way. I'm sure it has happened, all kinds of crazy things happen, but
abusive husbands are usually concerned about more immediate and
personal things than elections. How *dare* you disturb my beer bottle
collection!

People with abusive spouses have a lot more to worry about than
election coercion. Amongst all the serious problems, this one would
hardly make a dent.

> > I think that standing the whole system on its head to avoid a very
> > theoretical and unlikely scenario is nuts.
>
>I think privacy in elections is a long standing healthy principle. No
>need to make radical changes. And if need arises, one can seek
>balance between different needs.

Privacy in voting is a long-standing tradition. There actually is no
privacy right of the *ballots*. If I want to see them, I can go down
and see them. Yes, I'll have to pay a city employee to stand there
and watch, by the hour. But I should be able to find, amongst the
ballots from a precinct, the one my wife cast, if she wrote in big
letters on it, "This is my ballot, dear Hubby." Or she wrote my name,
or a code name, in as a write-in candidate, more to the actual point.

If I'm willing to coerce my wife's vote, already a crime she could
have me arrested for, surely I wouldn't mind spending no more than a
couple of hundred dollars to verify that she complied or did not!

The whole line of argument is totally bogus. There is no material
impact on voting privacy from ballot imagining. A narrow class of a
narrow class might be affected, but in a way which would, in fact,
make coercion easier to detect. And thus less of a problem, not more.

What I continue to find interesting is that people are aware of
widespread problems with vote counting. Yet when something extremely
simple is proposed that does not make any major changes in practices
-- ballots are already public record, of a sort, and all that would
be changing is that public viewing of them would become easy, instead
of onerously difficult and thus confined to a small privileged group
-- people line up to find things wrong with it.

It is one thing to anticipate problems, it is another to effectively
discard the idea because one can think of a problem. Anything you do
will have problems. But when we decide that something might be
worthwhile, we don't toss it out just because we think of a problem;
rather, we look at the problem itself. Is it real or is it an
illusion? If it is real, can it be addressed? Will the proposed
action make this problem worse or better?

(In the present instance, the possibility of coerced voting is raised
as an objection, as if it were clear that this problem would be worse
with public ballot imaging. But at least one line of thinking
suggests that coerced voting is *already* a problem, though in most
places in the U.S. and other stable democracies, not much of a
problem, and that ballot imaging will make it *harder* to get away
with coercion, particularly if attempted on a scale to tip elections.)

> >>  Open votes also are likely to lead
> >> to less votes to candidates that represent minorities and/or values
> >> that the voter does not want to reveal publicly. This could apply to
> >> minorities (political, ethnic, sexual, religious) or any deviation
> >> from the family, village, working place or country tradition and
> >> favoured values.
> >
> > Let me point out that in such an environment -- i.e., a minority
> > position is being hidden -- that minority position is unlikely to
> > win elections.
>
>Maybe in some two-party single-winner elections.

No. Not likely at all, except in multiwinner elections where a
smaller fraction of the electorate can create a winner. You do not
see near-majorities in the U.S. afraid to voice their opinion on the
grounds that they would suffer harassment. But, once again, this is
all beside the point. The issue of voting privacy is not relevant!
Ballot imaging does not affect voting privacy, if the ballots do not
routinely identify the voter. For it to be a problem *requires* the
voter to act to make the ballot identifiable, which, quite simply, is
not going to happen merely because the opinion being expressed on the
ballot is unpopular. In a word, it is preposterous.

> > it has not been proposed that elections be public, only that
> > ballots be public.
>
>I took your term "open voting" to include also fully open processes
>and replied according to that assumption. (Also your Town Meeting
>example seemed to have such open processes. I also understood that in
>the "direct democracy power transfers" privacy of the voters could be
>limited.)

I mentioned open voting because such voting exists in the U.S., in
Town Meeting. It also exists, by the way, in any elected assembly.
The votes of elected representatives are not secret. In a small town,
this is up close and personal. These people do not have police
escorts, they go to work in the local store, they are completely
exposed to the public.

I was pointing out that open voting exists and it does not seem to
have the kind of problem that is being proposed as a serious one.
When the scale gets large, problems could appear, because the
absolute number of nut cases increases. But this is totally
irrelevant to the issue of ballot imaging, I was only mentioning open
voting because open voting is crucial to direct democracy. And
arguing this here only expands the number of words without casting
light on the issue of ballot imaging.

I have not seen, in this thread, one cogent argument against public
ballot imaging, that stands up to scrutiny. The objection that ballot
imaging will compromise voter privacy seems, like a number of
knee-jerk responses we see in this field, to be reasonable, but when
you look at *how* it might compromise this privacy, it turns out to
have no substance.

(As another example of a knee-jerk response that seems reasonable but
which disappears when examined, is the objection that Approval Voting
violates the one-person, one-vote rule. And we only see that argument
seriously advanced, now, by people who should know better, as part of
political polemic, designed to win minds by confusing them. So we see
FairVote trotting this one out, even though the same objection,
fairly applied, would also consider IRV to be allowing voters more
than one vote. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, so
ganders should be careful about selling goose sauce.)

> > In the situation described, a voter who feared that a vote would be
> > considered "deviant" simply would not make any marks to identify
> > the ballot. Why would he or she do this?
>
>In the case of coercion the cost could be e.g. one black eye. (And if
>the voting is public there's no need to even mark the ballot.)

The cost of what? The voter fears a black eye if the voter does not
mark the ballot visibly?

Juho is arguing against public voting, when the context is clearly
private voting, hence the mention of making identifying marks.

Public voting is an entirely different issue, and what I would
recommend is, in fact, Asset Voting if we want to approach direct
democracy on a large scale. Asset Voting creates electors who are
public voters. Anyone can become an elector. And, yes, there would be
safeguards against coercing small numbers of votes. Coercing large
numbers of votes is actually not such a problem, because it is far
more difficult to pull of without detection.

(And the *real* problem: lack of prosecution of election fraud of all
kinds, coercion being only one, and probably not the most serious of
the real problems. It's nasty for the one coerced, but, frankly, if I
was gong to be coerced, I'd rather be coerced into voting a bad vote,
nasty as it might taste, than into much more serious losses. The
value of a vote is probably on the order of a few dollars, certainly
not a few thousand dollars.) (The proof of the value of a vote is
what people are willing to spend merely to influence them, not to buy
them. And there are, what, 80 million voters in the U.S. presidential
elections, and the total spending is what, on the order of $800
million? That's ten dollars per voter.)

> > But, in any case, this is moot. We are not proposing public voting,
> > only that public voting does exist and does not seem to have the
> > level of problem that is being asserted.
>
>What does word "we" refer to?

All of us, except anyone who is, here, proposing general public
voting. I didn't. Did you? Did anyone?

I *described* public voting that already exists. Surely if there is a
coercion hazard, it is stronger with full public voting than with
mere ballot imaging!

> >> Therefore secret ballots are a good main rule (exceptions allowed but
> >> justification needed).
> >
> > Secret ballot can be appropriate for elections; but I would reverse
> > what was said here. Secret ballot, in a mature system, would be the
> > exception, not the rule.
>
>The emergence of that level of society might take time. I think for
>the coming years secrecy might still be the best main rule in normal
>public elections.

And, again, nobody here has proposed differently. Nor would I even
propose, even in a mature system, that "elections" involve open votes
at the base level. Only the votes of electors would be public.

That's the U.S. Presidential system, by the way. Electors vote publicly.

> > It's quite difficult to corrupt direct democracy. Once the
> > transfers of power happen secretly, it becomes easier to corrupt.
>
>These words seem to indicate that in direct democracy we would need
>to seek some balance between privacy and risk of corruption.

Yes. When I referred to open voting above, I was referring to
small-scale direct democracy. A small unit within a large city, a
precinct, perhaps, can have a precinct council at which any citizen
can appear and vote.

I would make these councils more fully democratic by allowing
citizens to be represented in them by proxy, and I would use
delegable proxy to make it far more likely that every citizen would
actually be represented, who cared at all to be so.

And to me, it is the process that is far more important than the
*votes*. Being represented is the issue, to me.

On a larger scale, steps must be taken to restrict floor access, or
meetings become impossibly difficult. But that is another problem.

Where there is any fear of coercion as a problem, which seems to be
the case now (that there is a fear), then Asset Voting feeds the
delegable proxy system, allowing secret assignment of votes under
secure and identity-validated conditions. If you have an Asset Voting
system, by the way, the electors don't cast their own vote, they only
cast votes that they gathered in the polls, and they vote themselves
in those polls. So their vote is assigned like everyone elses. They
can name themselves or not.... If they want to insure that they have
at least one vote, they simply vote for themselves....

Under difficult conditions, I would filter out "candidates" who
receive less than a certain number of votes. These candidates would
be contacted by authorities and given an opportunity to reassign
their votes, in private, to create electors who hold enough votes
that the public can afford ot offer them protection. The number
depends on conditions. In small towns, my opinion, the minimum number
of votes could be very small.

(Voters getting under the minimum would not be told how many votes
they had received. I'll leave it as a puzzle, why. They would revote
and their vote would assign all their votes, but how many votes that
was would not be disclosed to them. All they would know would be that
the number would be under, say, five.)

And this is beside the point and has nothing to do with ballot imaging.

Ballot imaging is a concrete and simple proposal, cost-free (to the
public, costs would be covered voluntarily by those interested in
obtaining the images), that should practically nail down the issue of
public confidence in elections, and it is vastly superior and far
less corruptible than all the complex voting machinery that has
become so controversial. Further, it has so many other beneficial
side effects, we can anticipate, that there is no doubt in my mind
but that we should be going for this as soon as possible.

It could be done practically immediately. There is no equipment to be
purchased. There need be no appropriations. It *would* take hearings,
I'm sure, to hash out possible problems, but as far as I can see,
those problems would be few and easily soluble.

Why am I so interested in FA/DP? Because the Delegable Proxy
structure, among other things, provides a ready avenue for ideas to
be easily and efficiently considered, and to receive *responses*. If
we had DP in place, I would know, quickly, if this imaging idea were
going to be accepted or not. Or at least if it were going to be
*considered* or not!