[EM] A small remark about the Schulze-method

Markus Schulze Markus.Schulze at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
Mon May 14 03:22:23 PDT 2007

Dear Peter Barath,

you wrote (14 May 2007):
> I think maybe we should add an instruction: If there
> are more than one Schulze-winners, do the whole thing
> again with only them.

This instruction would violate monotonicity. See:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1998-November/002601.html

Therefore, I recommend a different instruction: If there
is more than one potential Schulze winner, then Tideman's
ranked pairs method is used to calculate a complete
ranking of all candidates (and not only of the potential
Schulze winners). The final winner is that potential
Schulze winner who is ranked highest in this ranked pairs
ranking.

See section 3.5, section 3.8, and section 5 of this paper:
http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze1.pdf

Markus Schulze