[EM] Does this method have a name?

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon May 14 12:28:40 PDT 2007

The "reactive approval" of candidate X relative to Y as defined below
is supposed to approximate the approval that X would get given only
that Y was ahead of all the other candidates in the polls.

In other words, if there were zero info up until someone reveals that Y
is the front runner, would you approve X or not?

Suppose that under zero info your approval cutoff was below Y.  Given
the information that Y is the frontrunner, wouldn't it make sense to
move your cutoff up to just below Y?

On the other hand, suppose that under zero info you disapprove Y.
Given the info that Y is the frontrunner wouldn't it make sense to move
your cutoff down to just above Y?

The move would be in reaction to the given information, hence the term
"reactive."

So we define the reactive approval of X relative to Y as the number of
ballots on which X would be approved if the voted approval cutoff were
moved adjacent to (but not past) Y on each and every ballot.

Let RA be the matrix whose entry in row i and column j is the reactive
approval of candidate i relative to candidate j.

Let's call this matrix the reactive approval matrix.

Below I suggested one way of using this matrix to determine a winner.
Here's a more interesting one:

1. Circle the largest number in each column of the RA matrix.

2. Cross out each row that has no circled element.

3. Cross out the columns that correspond to the rows that were crossed
out. [These rows and columns represent straw men or false alarms, so to
speak, since any poll indicating that they were ahead would be
misleading.]

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until each remaining row has exactly one
remaining circled element.

5. The winner is the candidate who has the largest row minimum in the
remaining matrix.

What do you think?

Forest