[EM] Does this method already have a name?

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat May 12 13:14:07 PDT 2007

Here's an example that might clear up some questions:

Suppose that the original ballot is

A=B>C=D>E=F|G=H>I=J>K=L

where "|" is the voter's marked approval cutoff.

Then in calculating reactive approvals relative to C we move the
approval cutoff adjacent to but not past the position shared by C and D:

A=B>C=D|E=F>G=H>I=J>K=L

Note that this ballot gives A, B, C, and D reactive approval relative
to C.  The reactive approvals relative to D are exactly the same.

Going in the other direction, let's see which candidates receive
reactive approval relative to either I or J.  Starting at the original
approval position and moving to (but not past) the position shared by I
and J we get

A=B>C=D>E=F>G=H|I=J>K=L

All of the candidates except I, J, K , and L get reactive approval
relative to I or J from this ballot.

Note that in every case, the reactive approval of candidate X relative
to candidate X is just its original approval, since the cutoff does not
move past X.

Furthermore, if a voter wants all of the reactive approvals to be the
same as his original approvals, all he has to do is rank all of his
approved candidates equal top and truncate the rest.

Here's the nitty gritty of deciding an election by this method:

Form a square array in which the number in row i and column j is the
total reactive approval of i relative to j.

To the right of each row in the array write the smallest number in that
row.  Then circle the largest of these row minima.  The winner is the
candidate whose row is to the left of the circled number.

Note that I have started using "reactive" instead of "reactionary"
because of the negative political connotation of the latter term (which
I used formerly).

Forest