[EM] RE : 22 March, 1435 GMT, Chris: Approval

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Mar 23 03:11:52 PDT 2007

:

Kevin then said:

>Here is such an example. Suppose these are the sincere preferences:
>
>49 A
>51 B>C
>
>Suppose that on the following cast ballots, A wins:
>
>49 A
>51 B
>
>This shows an MD failure. It doesn't show an SFC failure, since those
>voters preferring B to A are not voting sincerely (they aren't voting
>the C preference).
>
>Then suppose that on the following cast ballots, B wins:
>
>49 A
>51 B>C
>
>This shows that in the previous scenario, there was no SDSC failure,
>since the B voters could have voted in a different way in order to
>make A lose.

I reply:

But I don' t know if I'd really call that an example, since it doesn't show
how some particular method could do that.

Anyway, when I said I'd agree and be content if SFC and SDSC aren't
violated, I didn't mean that I was looking for a Minimal Defense failure
that didn't fail those two criteria. I merely meant that I evaluate methods
by SFC & SDSC, rather than by Minimal Defense.

Mike Ossipoff