[EM] 22 March, 1435 GMT, Chris: Approval

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Mar 22 21:13:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:36:06 +0000 Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> I'd said:
>
> I've never denied that rank methods can add advantages not available in
> Approval. I've even said that I myself would prefer a good rank method
> for our public elections, though I myself, as a voter, would be content
> with Approval. It would be a nice luxury to rank the best candidates,
> but I don't really care which one of the best candidates wins.
>
> Chris replies:
>
> That is your individual inclination, one which is very convenient for an
> Approval advocate.

As i.m.voter, what followed made me dizzy, so I try a different path:

What I see of candidate Z makes me want to vote A>Z and B>Z.

Approval would let me do this, while I have to reject Plurality for not
letting me vote my desires.

BUT, I can ALSO MUCH prefer A>B, and saying this plus A>Z and B>Z is
beyond Approval's abilities, so I must ask for a more powerful method such
as Condorcet.

As to the strategizers who would attack based on what others might do
based on expected voting, I wish them no luck.

DWK
                  If you want peace, work for justice.