[EM] RE : Chris: Approval

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 19 08:06:47 PDT 2007

Kevin Venzke wrote:

>>Aside from that, why is it ok to speak of intent, but not preference?
>>

>Intent is post-strategy. Here's an example of the process:
>
>1. Say my "sincere preferences" are A>B>C>D>E.
>2. Then I apply whatever reasoning and decide that I will be voting D>A>B
>and truncate the rest. Then that D>A>B is my "intended vote."
>3. At this point I the voter do not make any more decisions. Suppose the
>ballot format is such that I can only vote for two candidates equally
>and nobody else. Then my "cast ballot" is either D=A or D=B, according
>to arbitrary resolution.

Kevin,

Is this exactly what you meant to write? The way it is written, I don't
see how "D=B" is a possible
choice of cast ballot for the voter whose intended ranking is D>A>B. If
D=B is possible, why not
A=B?

I would rather say (in your point 3) that if the method is approval the
voter with an "intended ranking"
of  D>A>B  (in this field of more than 3 candidates) makes an arbitrary
choice  between D or DA or
DAB for his 'cast ballot'.

Chris Benham