[EM] uses of truncation

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Mar 17 00:20:52 PDT 2007

Offer me true Approval - the one that differs from Plurality only in
permitting over votes - and we have something understandable and,
occasionally, useful.

Offer me Range and we are, presumably into something else:
      I need to understand its abilities and method of invocation, to
decide if I wish to use such.
      My desires often remain with Plurality.  Is there a way to express
that thought under Range?  Do I have the same power that I would have
under Plurality or Approval?

Point is that you complicate life for me, i.m.voter.  You claim to offer
value for the cost - something to debate another day.

DWK

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:17:36 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 12:41 AM 3/16/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>>I care:
>>      Whether my Plurality thoughts are easy to express when those are my
>>thoughts - often happens when voting for such as dogcatcher.
>>      Whether I can easily express my more complex thoughts that can
>>happen when voting for such as governor.  Condorcet is capable; Range
>>seems more complex than I need.
>

> Range can be extremely simple, it depends on ballot details.
> Approval, for example, is a Range method that is terminally simple,
> the ballot looks like a Plurality ballot and can be voted as such.
> It's perfectly okay to just vote for your favorite. But for
> supporters of third parties there is the important difference that it
> becomes possible to support your favorite while still participating
> in the top-two race.
>
> Even fine-grained Range ballots would presumably have a quick means
> of indicating max or min rating, and it is possible that min rating
> is assumed. So, once again, the work is quite the same as with
> Plurality, for one who wishes to vote that way.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.