[EM] uses of truncation

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Mar 16 21:17:36 PDT 2007

At 12:41 AM 3/16/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>I care:
>       Whether my Plurality thoughts are easy to express when those are my
>thoughts - often happens when voting for such as dogcatcher.
>       Whether I can easily express my more complex thoughts that can
>happen when voting for such as governor.  Condorcet is capable; Range
>seems more complex than I need.

Range can be extremely simple, it depends on ballot details.
Approval, for example, is a Range method that is terminally simple,
the ballot looks like a Plurality ballot and can be voted as such.
It's perfectly okay to just vote for your favorite. But for
supporters of third parties there is the important difference that it
becomes possible to support your favorite while still participating
in the top-two race.

Even fine-grained Range ballots would presumably have a quick means
of indicating max or min rating, and it is possible that min rating
is assumed. So, once again, the work is quite the same as with
Plurality, for one who wishes to vote that way.