[EM] Trees and single-winner methods

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Mar 15 23:06:32 PDT 2007

At 12:20 PM 3/15/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
>Yes of course, but I don't regard the nomination process as part of the
>election method.

This is the narrow view. One could consider the term "election
method" to be broader than that.

The broadest definition would be the process by which a group of
people come to a common decision. Obviously, nomination, as we
understand it, is part of this process.

Or you could confine "election method," as Chris does, to a very
specific kind of process, perhaps requiring a ballot, with the
contents of the ballot as a given.

Given that my interest is in actual systemic reform, my own interest
is with the broad concept of methods of social choice.