[EM] "Possible Approval Winner" set/criterion (was "Juho--Margins fails Plurality. WV passes.")

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 13 09:35:22 PDT 2007

Juho wrote:

> The "Possible Approval Winner" criterion looks actually quite natural
> in the sense that it compares the results to what Approval voting
> could have achieved.

I'm glad you think so.

> The definition of the criterion contains a function that can be used
> to evaluate the candidates (also for other uses) - the possibility and
> strength of an approval win. This function can be modified to support
> also cardinal ratings.
>
> In the first example there is only one entry (11: A>B) that can vary
> when checking the Approval levels. B can be either approved or not. In
> the case of cardinal ratings values could be 1.0 for A, 0.0 for C and
> anything between 0.0001 and 0.9999 for B. Or without normalization the
> values could be any values between 0.0. and 1.0 as long as value(A) >
> value(B) > value (C). With the cardinal ratings version it is possible
> to check what the "original utility values" leading to this group of
> voters voting A>B could have been (and if the outcome is achievable in
> some cardinal ratings based method, e.g. max average rating).

This concept looks vulnerable to some weak irrelevant candidate being
added to the top of some ballots, displacing a candidate down to
second preference and maybe thereby causing it to fall out of the set
of  "possible winners". It probably has other problems regarding
Independence
properties, and I can't see any use for it.

Chris Benham