[EM] "Possible Approval Winner" set/criterion (was "Juho--Margins fails Plurality. WV passes.")

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 08:49:05 PDT 2007

The "Possible Approval Winner" criterion looks actually quite natural
in the sense that it compares the results to what Approval voting
could have achieved.

The definition of the criterion contains a function that can be used
to evaluate the candidates (also for other uses) - the possibility
and strength of an approval win. This function can be modified to
support also cardinal ratings.

In the first example there is only one entry (11: A>B) that can vary
when checking the Approval levels. B can be either approved or not.
In the case of cardinal ratings values could be 1.0 for A, 0.0 for C
and anything between 0.0001 and 0.9999 for B. Or without
normalization the values could be any values between 0.0. and 1.0 as
long as value(A) > value(B) > value (C). With the cardinal ratings
version it is possible to check what the "original utility values"
leading to this group of voters voting A>B could have been (and if
the outcome is achievable in some cardinal ratings based method, e.g.
max average rating).

The max average rating test is actually almost as easy to make as the
PAW test. Note that my description of the cardinal ratings for
candidate B had a slightly different philosophy. It maintained the
ranking order of the candidates, which makes direct mapping from the
cardinal values to ordinal values possible. The results are very
similar to those of the approval variant but the cardinal utility
values help making a more direct comparison with the "original
utilities" of the voters.

Now, what is the value of these comparisons when evaluating the
different Condorcet methods. These measures could be used quite
straight forward in evaluating the performance of the Condorcet
methods if one thinks that the target of the voting method is to
maximise the approval of the winner or to seek the best average
utility. This need not be the case in all Condorcet elections (but is
one option). There are several utility functions that the Condorcet
completion methods could approximate. The Condorcet criterion itself
is majority oriented. Minmax method minimises the strength of
interest to change the selected winner to one of the other
candidates. Approval and cardinal ratings have somewhat different
targets than the majority oriented Condorcet criterion and some of
the common completion methods, but why not if those targets are what
is needed (or if they bring other needed benefits like strategy
resistance).

I find it often useful to link different methods and criteria to
something more tangible like concrete real life compatible examples
or to some target utility functions (as in the discussion above). One
key reason for this is that human intuition easily fails when dealing
with the cyclic structures (that are very typical cases when studying
the Condorcet methods). In this case it seems that PAW and
corresponding cardinal utility criterion lead to different targets/
utility than e.g. the minmax(margins) "required additional votes to
become the Condorcet winner" philosophy. Maybe the philosophy of PAW
is to respect clear majority decisions (Condorcet criterion) but go
closer to the Approval/cardinal ratings style evaluation when the
majority opinion is not clear. You may have different targets in your
mind but for me this was the easiest interpretation.

Juho

P.S. One example.
1: A>B
1: C
Here B could be an Approval winner (tie) but not a max average rating
winner in the "ranking maintaining style" that was discussed above
(since the rating of B must be marginally smaller than the rating of
A in the first ballot).