[EM] final support

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Mar 30 16:52:23 PDT 2007

So far, the three most promising measures of defeat strength for
Beatpath and the other immune methods are ...

1. Winning Votes: the number of ballots in favor of the pairwise win.

2. Total Approval: the number of ballots on which the pairwise winner
is approved.  The Beatpath, Ranked Pairs, and River formulations of DMC
make use of this measure of "defeat strength."

3. Approval Against: the number of ballots on which the pairwise winner
is approved but the defeated alternative is not approved.

I suggest that we combine these three measures, and call the resulting
measure "Final Support," because it is an indication of the
ratification support that the victor of a pairwise contest would
receive, given that the defeated alternative is out of the picture.

4. Final Support: the number of ballots on which the victor of a
pairwise contest is either approved or ranked above the defeated
alternative (or both).

I suggest that River(fs) would be worth looking into, starting with all
of the troublesome three candidate scenarios.

FS