[EM] UncAAO defined in plain English

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Mar 3 17:56:03 PST 2007

Chris,

For the benefit of those who are just joining us, I'll start a little
more basic than you would need.

We need to know the meaning of "cover."  A candidate X covers a
candidate Y if and only if X (pairwise) defeats both Y and each
candidate that Y defeats.

So if X covers Y, then in a pairwise sense X dominates Y.

Now for UncAAO:

1. Write abbreviations for all of the candidate names on a big sheet of
butcher paper.

2. For each candidate X, if X is covered by some candidate, then draw
an arrow from X to the candidate (among those that cover X)
against which X has the least approval opposition.

3. If X is not covered by any candidate, then do not draw any arrow
from X to another candidate.

4. Once all of the arrows have been drawn, start at the candidate A
with the most approval, and follow the arrows until you reach (the name
of) an uncovered candidate.  This candidate is the winner.

Forest