[EM] Presidential debate ordering

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Sun Jun 3 13:58:20 PDT 2007

 > [EM] Presidential debate ordering
> Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk wrote:
>
> However, James Green-Armytage mentioned Reciprocal Pairing on this list
> in the past.? I rediscovered it in the following web page:
>
> <http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/vm/reciprocal.htm>

That is interesting.? However, the objective shouldn't be to have debaters
necessarily debate who they want to debate (as you point out).

> There is one problem I have with allowing the candidates to determine
> who they should debate with.
> <snip>
> The first front runner realises that in a head-to-head debate, he would
> do badly against the second front runner.? Therefore, the first front
> runner does not rank the second front runner.? This means that the two
> front runners will never debate with each other.

Another option is to allow each candidate pick 2 other candidates (via
submitting a ranking).? The top 2 other candidates would then be paired
with him.? He would also have to debate the candidates that pick him.

The reciprocal system could be used if there is 'overflow'.? If 4 candidates
want to debate with a front runner then only 2 are allowed (excluding the
2 the candidate picked).? I would probably break the tie based on popularity
of the candidates rather than their own rankings.

For example, assuming candidate A is most popular, B next and so on.