[Election-Methods] RE : Is "sincere" voting in Range suboptimal?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jul 25 09:30:17 PDT 2007

This is actually getting interesting. In short, I've discovered that,
in the many-voter case studied, sincere voting in Range 2 has
slightly higher utility for the voter than Approval. Further,
reducing the method from Range 2 to Approval (Range 1), lowers the
voter's expected utility. The simulations referred to below are
probably Range 999. This leads to an inference that there is a N such
that Range N is not only better than Approval, as a method and/or as
a strategy, it is better than higher-resolution range, it is an
optimal resolution. This is, to my knowledge, a new finding, and unexpected.

So it becomes important to ferret out my errors, if any remain!

At 12:55 AM 7/25/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
>Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>>At 09:51 AM 7/24/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>>>
>>>Warren implemented his own version afterwards; I suggest his results if
>>>you're really interested.
>>><http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat3.html>http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat3.html
>>>
>>Yes, I'm familiar with the page.
>I had seen it but forgotten about it.  Apparently Abd doesn't
>understand this table with which he is so
>"familiar".

That's correct. I can be familiar with something and not understand
every aspect of it. In particular, that page does not state what the
numbers, the results for each case, mean. They are stated as
"improvement over not voting," but the scale is not stated. I'd guess
that it is relative to the utility for not voting at all, but then
other aspects of the report remain mysterious.

>>These simulations are looking that the return to the voter from
>>various strategies, a direct answer to the issue posed by those who
>>claim that voting Approval style is optimal. It turns out that it's
>>optimal in some limited cases:
>
>No.  Only when there are no other voters does any other strategy do
>as well. Of the ten strategies
>considered in the table, seven of them are versions of  "voting
>Approval style".

Yes. The no-other-voter case is a special case, but I think I've
stumbled onto something. When there are many voters, there are still
cases which are equivalent to the no-other-voter case, and which also
cover every possible vote when there is only one other voter. These
cases are rare with many voters, so they do not affect the
simulations within the precision involved, but they are the only
cases where the voter's vote actually counts, so they loom large.

But there are only a few vote combinations where the voter's vote
actually matters. And in the example shown, Range 2 -- which is not
studied in Warren's simulations, he is working with higher resolution
range - there are vote patterns where the Approval strategy produces
a worse result than the sincere strategy. (I don't like using that
word, it's loaded; I'm just using it to mean that the voter votes the
straight utility as best expressed within the limits of the method,
and in this case the method, Range 2, expresses it exactly.)

There are 27 vote patterns where the voter's vote counts, neglecting
the patterns that require the race to be near a three-way tie, near
enough for the voter to be able to affect the win of more than two
candidate, such as an exact three-way tie. In a very large election,
this probability is so low compared to the probability of a two-way
tie that we can neglect it. (There is more to be said on this, I suspect.)

Of the 27 vote patterns, 3 result in loss of utility from the sincere
vote compared to approval. These occur in the cases where the sincere
vote causes or eliminates a tie. In each of these cases there is a
loss of 0.5 in utility (using the sincere Range scores as the measure
of utility, and they were defined as accurate). Total loss: 1.5.

However, there are 5 other vote patterns where the voter gains
utility compared to approval. These are all cases where the voter's
favorite cannot win, so the vote for the midrange candidate becomes
important, and under Approval, with midrange being rated zero, a loss
for B by one point becomes a tie, average gain of 0.5, and a tie
becomes a victory; again, the average gain is 0.5. Total gain: 2.5.

Net gain: 1.0. 40/27 is the predicted average utility with the
sincere vote and 39/27 is the predicted average utility with the approval vote.

One point difference vanishes in the noise when we are looking at
very large elections and are considering absolute utility over all
possible prior votes. Obviously, one point should still shift the
utility positively, but the utilities have not been stated with
sufficient precision to see it, and it's been thought that such a low
change in utility would be of no significance at all, which is why it
is said that it doesn't matter.

However, the reasoning is false. Suppose I were considering taking a
divot of grass from the public commons. The divot is tiny, the effect
on the public at large so small that it would not have a value of
even one cent. Should we allow people to steal a penny?

Problem is, if everyone does it, and there are billions of people.

As many have noting, the immediate value of voting is about nil. If I
can't vote for some reason, it would not be rational for me to be
seriously upset about it. It did *almost* no harm. There has never
been a Presidential election, I suspect, where one vote changed the outcome.

However, if I deliberately don't vote, I must consider the
consequences of *thinking* like this. If many people think this way,
it can shift the outcome in a direction I think harmful. So I vote.

Now, in considering *how* to vote, I only need consider the cases
where my vote counts. That *vastly* simplifies the problem! I don't
need to worry about the vast number of vote combinations where my
vote is moot. How I vote in those cases has no effect on the outcome.

I only need to consider the few cases where my vote counts. And if
everyone does this, we all benefit! (That is, more benefit than
lose). This isn't "altruistic," it is, indeed, selfish, the only
"altruistic" part of it is that I vote at all! By voting, I'm
performing a public service, at substantial cost, my individual cost
is considerable, while my gain is nearly zero.

I really think this is a new kind of vote analysis, here, though I
think I heard some hints that it has been mentioned by others.

If Warren were to take his simulations and eliminate all the cases
where the voter's vote is moot (that is, no possible vote by the
voter could improve the outcome for the voter), he would have much
larger utilities to report, they would be commensurable.

As they say, the devil is in the details.

1 point difference is, in Range 2, one-half vote. This improvement of
utility, 1/27 in value compared to the maximum possible utility for
this voter; if we reference it to the value of not voting, 1.0, then
we estimate the value of voting at 48.15% for sincere and 44.44% for
approval. (This is 40/27 or 39/27 compared to 1.0.)

In the many-voter case, the utility is the same whether the voter
votes 0 or 2 for the middle candidate, as others stated. But they
didn't state it, I will carp, as being for all elections, they did
not specify that it was many-voter case. Now, it should have been
obvious, but, unfortunately, something isn't obvious to me until the
reason occurs to me.....

So there are a series remaining problems for me in studying voting
strategy in the 3-candidate case. Warren's simulations, reported
above, are for high-resolution Range. If the best strategy is
Approval, why both providing people with an inferior strategy? There
is an answer for this, but it is also a very good question. These
simulations, however, compare high-resolution Range, (vote in 0-1
range, precision not stated, but probably substantially higher than
is being considered for public elections. Warren prefers no limit on
range resolution, but he also would have wanted to speed up the
calculations, I don't know what choice he made.

But what I'm studying is the effect, it turns out, of adding only one
new rating level. What I find is that Range 2 is *slightly* better
than Approval. By the way, the results get even worse if Approval is
the *method*, rather than merely the strategy. Turns out, it appears,
that *enforcing* an approval strategy does harm the voter. (See the
spreadsheet, the Approval Method case is pulled out on the ManyVoter tabs.

So, even if the analysis on the page cited is correct (that is, even
if the precision *is* sufficent), what is being shown is that
Approval is better than, perhaps, Range 999.

But if Range 2 is better than Approval, we may speculate that there
is an N such that Range N is the best method. And it should now be
relatively easy to find that number.

Don't you think that's interesting?