[Election-Methods] A "sincere" ballot is suboptimal in Range Voting.

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 12:15:19 PDT 2007

This is my opinion, I have no proof yet.

But the more I read and the more I am convinced that
"sincere" voting is a suboptimal strategy for any Range voting method.
Thus Approval should be preferred as an election method to replace it.

M. Lomax (or please Kevin or anyone else promoting Range Voting),

if you disagree with this statement, please show me a clear
counter-example,
with the number of candidates, the number of available values,
the sincere optimal ballot and all others ballots subset with their
probability
(I suppose they would be equals from what you said before).
I bet Chris or myself can find another unsincere ballot that produces
an equal or better expected result relative to the average social
utility of the outcome.

S. Rouillon.