[EM] RE : Is "sincere" voting in Range suboptimal?

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 23 11:42:43 PDT 2007

For more voters, it is not simple. For an optimal strategy, one that
would optimize the result form the voter point of view,
the question depends of the probability of the rest of the ballots.
Saying it's a no-information election is not sufficient.
Are non-extreme position like B2 A1 C1 or B1 A0 C0 equiprobable to
others?
Some would say they have a 0 probility but I doubt even if those cases
do not seem optimals (thus logicals) ...
(Other) voters are not always logicals...

But for the two-voters case, I have to agree with Chris analysis: the
sincere ballot is not the optimal strategy.
The truncated strategy is even dominant in the sense that there is no
case where the results is expected to be worse
according to the mean social utility (averaging ties).

With more voters it would not be the case because truncation could lead
to C wins, something that cannot happen with
two voters as A is always at least tied with C. Thus probabilities would
matter.

Could you (both Chris and M. Lomax) provide the other voters ballot
repartition you use according to your own no-information understanding?

S. Rouillon