[EM] RE : Re: Simmons' "solution" of voting system design puzzle is inadequate

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Jan 21 09:23:52 PST 2007

Hi,

--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> At 05:00 PM 1/20/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
> >By this definition Range fails "ICC" because voters can only express
> >preferences among clones by not giving maximum possible score to all of
> >them, thus making it
> >possible that if a narrow winner is replaced by a set of clones all the
> >clones lose.
>
> Now, tell me, why should an election system provide a means for
> voters to express a preference between clones, when they consider
> them equally fit for the office?
>
> Benham is correct that Range would not allow a voter to express a max
> score to one candidate and a lower score to another, without risking
> the loss of the second one as he described. If a voter considers two
> candidates clones, the rational vote under Range is to rate them
> identically. "Favorite", between clones, is meaningless. If the voter
> has a preference, they aren't clones to the voter.
>
> I've been finding this kind of dual perspective, one might call it
> inconsistency, quite common in Benham's writing. A clone is, by
> definition, functionally identical to the voters. There are voting
> systems where the existence of clones alters the outcome of the
> election, and we intuit that this is undesirable. Range should not.
> By definition, if the voters consider two candidates clones, they
> will rate them identically, otherwise we have no basis for calling them
> clones.

I find it puzzling, maybe even humorous, that you let these three
paragraphs stand when by the time you finished writing this message,
you had realized that clones are not generally thought to have to be
exactly identical.

I find it a little less humorous that you criticized Chris for
"inconsistency" when he was just noting that Range did not appear to
satisfy *Warren's* definition of clone independence. I don't see Chris'
personal position on ICC expressed at all here. If you felt that clones
should be exactly identical candidates, the half sensible thing to do
would have been to side with Chris and criticize Warren.

Kevin Venzke