[EM] Noise (Was: Credentials?)

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Jan 18 12:38:30 PST 2007

Thank you for this moment of de-lurking.

I think we're in similar situations. I'm often not in the mood to wade
thorugh "proof", especially if it's full of acronyms that apparently the
author made up and is the sole user of, and might even just be proving a
property I'm not sure I care about (properties also often shrouded in
jargon I'd have to look up desipte having more-or-less read this list for
the last couple years).

Your two points would be a fair mission statement for this list if we
wanted to make one, but I think I usually see more of the theoretical
investigation here. Mostly that has been analytical gedanken-elections,
with a few contributions of statistics from simulations.

Mostly I take my advocacy elsewhere, to random politics blogs and
discussions in meat-space. Some news there, my city is considering a total
rebuild of its election infrastructure and if I am specially lucky I'll be
able to get in rankings ballots for our Mayor and City Council elections
(probably advocate Condorcet for Mayor, STV for council).

It's also hard to test out "explanaitons for the common man" on this
group, since we all know the material too well.

And yeah, the flame wars are stupid, as are all participants therein
(though they may yet be lucid and interesting at other times).

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/