[EM] Strategic polls in Approval

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Jan 7 20:23:12 PST 2007

At 04:19 PM 1/7/2007, Juho wrote:
>It is also possible that the three leading candidates would come from
>the same party. [etc.]

I find it odd that IRV proponents would claim that IRV can save money
by eliminating the need for primaries, and eliminating primaries
could make more likely the conditions under which IRV would select a
winner against the preference of a majority.

As to false polls misleading voters, if an election is close enough
between three "frontrunners" I don't think it is at all obvious how
voters will behave. The false poll could backfire, motivating more
voters to bullet vote. After all, that is one of the rational
strategies, and it directly contradicts the vote suggested by what
was claimed here to be standard Approval strategy.

I would prefer to think of Approval Voting *method* and then strategy
as a twist on this.

The basic method is to select and vote for all candidates who one
judges as acceptable as winners. This is why it is named "Approval."
If voters are fully honest in this, and make reasonable accomodation
for the views and satisfaction of others (In other words, A is my
favorite, but I know that B is preferred by many who don't like A so
much, and I think of B as a reasonable choice for the office as
well), then the method clearly works to find a good winner.

One way to describe the process simplifies it by placing candidates
on a linear spectrum and setting an Approval cutoff. In Range, this
has a specific meaning.... I'll call the Approval cutoff the AC.

However, the reform would be coming into a contentious arena, where
people are accustomed to fighting for their favorite, even if the
preference is actually small. They aren't going to move to Canada if
B wins. They aren't going to need medication for depression, at least
not for that reason....

So then comes strategy. Who are the likely frontrunners? The voter
needs to know this because not voting for a frontrunner is likely to
be a wasted vote. By definition. If the frontrunners are clear, and
there are two of them, the strategy is obvious, and is what has been
recommended. If there are three, i.e., the election is reasonably
close to a three-way tie, in expectation, then one has a choice:

Set the AC such that one of the three is approved, then add any
candidates preferred to that one.
or
Set the AC such that two of the three are approved, then add any
candidates preferred to that one.

For a poll to move a candidate from not-close to frontrunner status,
it would have to be drastically distorted. As I've mentioned, there
are more subtle, more serious, and less provable forms of lying than
this. I really don't think it's a matter for special concern.

As I mentioned, it could backfire. We don't know whether distorted
polls like this would improve or hurt a candidate's chance of
success, because only one of the possible effects was considered, one
which is thought to move the result in a direction favoring those who
distorted the polling. We would also have to consider the effects
which could move the vote in the opposite direction.

Polls would not seriously affect the internal Range rating which
underlies Approval strategy. My impression of the desirability of a
candidate winning does not depend sensitively on what others think. I
want a candidate to be broadly acceptable, but the difference
between, say 40% acceptable and 60% acceptable would not have a large
effect on my opinion of the candidate. That is, very low
acceptability *would* lower my rating, and very high acceptability
would raise it, but the midrange is of little effect. In the polling
fraud scenario, the fraud really only nudges the relative
relationships of three candidates who are probably about equally
acceptable. I really doubt that it would cause me to shift my vote.