[EM] Election methods in student government...

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 13:18:22 PST 2007

I support raphfrk's thoughts that the basic methods might be the best
choice. Open list and PR-STV are two quite well working basic PR
methods.

Raphfrk proposed also asset voting. Also that one is quite simple and
natural. It may add some "asset trading", which might be a bad thing
in this environment that I understood was quite interested in
plotting. Well, maybe they'd really like that second negotiation
round of asset voting and be happy to use this method. Or
alternatively they should not be given the chance to start this kind
of horse trading.

I have also another less common method that I have promoted on this
mailing list. Open list methods can be extended to cover also
hierarchical candidate settings. The lists are no longer lists, so
"tree voting" is a better name for this method. The candidates (and
parties and other groupings) thus agree a tree-like structure where
candidates are leaves and branches of the tree may have descriptive
names (party names, party branches, interest groups). Voters vote
simply one of the candidates. The seats are allocated to the branches
of the tree (based on the number of votes received by each branch)
starting from the root using some suitable PR allocation method. This
process is then repeated towards the smaller branches until all the
seats have been allocated to the candidates in the leafs.

Tree voting gives candidates some more information on the candidates
than traditional open list does (from party alliances to small
interest groups). Also the division of seats within each party is
more fair (not plurality based but proportional also within parties
and party alliances). Tree voting doesn't allow giving her personal
inheritance order in the ballot (in STV style). But the candidate
given order of inheritance (in the form of the tree) is there, and it
may reflect the true thoughts/intentions of the candidates quite
accurately (=not much space for the candidates to tell each voter
group that the candidate would promote especially their values). In
elections where there are numerous candidates expecting all voters to
know the candidates well enough to give them a STV like preference
order may be too much. In elections where all candidates are well
known that might be ok.

Juho Laatu