[EM] What is good apportionment?

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Feb 1 18:06:10 PST 2007

Wading through the recent apportionment debate (and flame war) I didn't
get a clear sense of what it is we're trying to optimize with various
solutions.

representation = representatives / people
so, right now the target representation should be about
435/300000000
(and I intend to get my full .00000145 share of my congresswoman!)

Possible Apportionment Goals, as concise as I can make them:
least over-representation - the solution shall have the least possible
per-capita representation in the highest representation state. No state
shall be the one everyone is jealous of.

least under-representation - the solution shall have the highest possible
per-capita representation in the state with the lowest representation. No
state shall be unduly ripped off.

minimize representation spread - find the solution with the smallest
per-capita representation difference between least and most represented
people.

minimize standard deviation of per-capita representation - there may be
some odd highs and lows, but on average it works out.

On any of those I think it would be a valid variation to ignore as
outliers states with less than one whole representative worth of
population (this should filter out measurement-distorting effects of the
one seat minimum).

So, maybe this is a philosophical question, which of these is most fair?

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/