[EM] What is good apportionment?

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Feb 2 04:10:39 PST 2007

Brian--

My goal has been to just try to make everyone's representation as equal as
possible (or, for true divisor methods, everyone's representation
_expectation_). I do that by making each cycle's overall s/q = 1, as nearly
as possible.

But you've suggested something less traditional, but something that makes
perfect sense: Directly tinkering the result of each census apportionment,
so as to meet one of the standards that you listed.

It would be a more complicated method, with a more complicated rule. And it
would be farther from tradition than the methods we've discussed so far. But
maybe better, if one of the standards is considered more desirable than just
trying to make the s/q as equal as possible.

Just when I thought that CW, AR, WW and W were the only ones to propose,
someone suggests an approach to _directly_ enforce one of those standards.
So now there's an additional kind of method for proposing

Of the standards that you listed, I prefer the one that minimizes the
greatest under-representation.

Mike Ossipoff