[EM] "Weighted Webster", Apportionment, Moral rightness etc

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Feb 2 03:15:59 PST 2007

Warren wrote:

Moral rightness is murky.

I reply:

For apportionment, there's only one kind of moral wrong: systematically
giving more representation per person to residents of small states, as
compared to large states (or vice-versa).

>If it is really true (as Ossipoff now says) that this moral rightness
>conclusion
>was based on a "fallacy,"

I reply:

My justifiation for my claim that Webster is intrinsically large-biased
(which was also my justification for BF and Weighted BF), and your
justification for exponentially-weighed BF, were different. We preferred
some form of weighted BF for different reasons. My fallacy was that, in
judging expecatation, I neglected the fact that you or I have less chance of
being born in a small state.
There may be a different fallacy involved with your reason for preferring
weighted BF. For instance, you said it was about unfairness per person,
which justified dividing by q. But unfairness sometimes isn't something that
has to be divided among its recipients. When we're unfair to a state, all of
its residents get all of the unfairness, and they don't have to divide it
up. That may be a fallacy in your reason for preferring weighted BF.

Warren wrote:

and the simplest method also happens to be the most morally
>right, that'd be great - win-win scenario.

I reply:

Yes, that's so. The simplest of the methods at your website is the more
morally right, fairest, true divisor method. The one that gives everyone
equal representation expectation, by giving each cycle a number of seats
equal to its number of quotas (based on the current quota being tried). Or,
as I've worded it so far, giving each cycle an s/q = 1.  To the extent that
they're all 1, they're all equal.

Warren continued:

(I don't currently understand what Ossipoff's
>moral reasoning is, though.)

I reply:

What I said in my previous reply paragraph in this reply. Equal
representation expectation for everyone is my goal. I should add that that
can only be possible if we don't have detailed information about what part
of a cycle the various states are in. Obviously if you somehow know that
your state is in the most unfavorable part of its cycle, then your
representation expectation based on your information is less than that of
residents of other states.

Equal representation expectation per person--isn't that the goal for all of
us?  By the way, with Cycle-Webster and Adjusted-Rounding, that comes closer
to being equal representation per person, in every apportionment, rather
than just equal expectation.

>One way Ossipoff could explain, is he could write an alternate writeup to
>my
>webpage's section titled "Which one is the most 'morally right'?" which
>could be stuck
>there in its place, or at least compared side by side.

Quote my fairness goal at your website, and my claim that WW is the true
divisor method that meets that goal.

You might want to give me a little recognition there, since I derived WW
with the goal of equal representation expectatioon per person, achieved by
making the cycles' s/q equal to 1, and therefore to eachother, as nearly as
possible.

If you agree about WW being the fairest, why not take out the part about BF
and exponentially-weighted BF. Or at least the part about it appearing to be
fairest.

Warren continued:

>But frankly, it seems to me that eggheaded reasoning about moral rightness
>is
>not worth as much as computer simulations measuring how well the methods
>work in
>reality (or simulated reality).   I would like to see more of those.

I reply:

Yes. But I claim that WW, Webster, AR & CW can be shown to have their unbias
just from arguments without empirical testing. But the testing is desirable
too.

I've been looking at 1990 with Pearson correlation, just a little. WW, using
Warren's d=.495..., had 4 times less bias than ordinary Webster.

I didn't test correlation for cycles, or do AR or CW, because that takes
longer to program, and I have had very little time to work on it. I tested
Pearson correlation of individual states.

Warren continued:

That is why my web page suggested choosing the parameter d
>to optimize historical performance - as opposed to getting d from a
>theoretical
>oversimplified model of reality - actually get it from reality!

I reply:

By finding what d value minimizes measured bias. But using least-squares to
find A, and thereby d, would be good too.

Mike Ossipoff