[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: Simple two candidate election

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Dec 23 19:28:57 PST 2007

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Seems to me we are agreed as to goals, but are tripping over what I meant
> when I said "effectively".  I MEANT to learn how Range works, and then do
>   the best I could within those rules, such as:
>       best - max score to try for winning.
>       worst - min score to try for losing.
>       soso - this is the hard one - less than max, for I hope for best to
> win; probably near max to improve odds for soso if best loses.
>
> I see this as properly using "effectively" as an English word.

I'm not sure what you mean. The strategy you suggest for "soso" is not very
good, which to my mind makes it not effective.

Basically it is not in your interests to rate soso lower than best. Range
does not make any note of which candidates you like better than which, so
you're just wasting voting power if you try to indicate it.

If you want to maximize the power of your vote, you should split the
candidates into two groups (better than average vs. worse than average, if
you have no polling info), and use the entire power of your vote to try to
break any ties occurring between these two groups. Unless there are only
about three voters, you can't hope to do better than this.

For Range to work as well as hoped, it is important that voters do *not*
realize how to vote effectively. Or, that they choose not to.

Kevin Venzke