[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: Simple two candidate election

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Dec 23 20:18:28 PST 2007

Time to give up on this exchange unless we can find a way to a language
for communication.

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:28:57 +0100 (CET) Kevin Venzke wrote:
> Dave,
>
> --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
>
>>Seems to me we are agreed as to goals, but are tripping over what I meant
>>when I said "effectively".  I MEANT to learn how Range works, and then do
>>  the best I could within those rules, such as:
>>      best - max score to try for winning.
>>      worst - min score to try for losing.
>>      soso - this is the hard one - less than max, for I hope for best to
>>win; probably near max to improve odds for soso if best loses.
>>
>>I see this as properly using "effectively" as an English word.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean. The strategy you suggest for "soso" is not very
> good, which to my mind makes it not effective.

How did we get here?
      I want best to win, so I certainly want to give all others a lower
rating.
      But, if best loses, I want to have done the best I can for soso, my
second choice.

> Basically it is not in your interests to rate soso lower than best. Range
> does not make any note of which candidates you like better than which, so
> you're just wasting voting power if you try to indicate it.
>
> If you want to maximize the power of your vote, you should split the
> candidates into two groups (better than average vs. worse than average, if
> you have no polling info), and use the entire power of your vote to try to
> break any ties occurring between these two groups. Unless there are only
> about three voters, you can't hope to do better than this.

In these words I see 3 groups:
      best - which I hope will win.
      soso - almost belongs in the same group as best, but I want to
indicate preference for best.
      worst - of which I hope for all such to lose.

> For Range to work as well as hoped, it is important that voters do *not*
> realize how to vote effectively. Or, that they choose not to.
>
> Kevin Venzke
                  If you want peace, work for justice.