[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Aug 29 16:25:16 PDT 2007

Dear Abd ul-Rahman,

> The faction with the largest number of supporters could raise the
> largest army (other things being equal) and could overpower the
> others -- unless they cooperate, forming a larger faction.

I don't think you believe what you write here. Who could raise the
largest army certainly depends on wealth.

> Democratic decision systems avoid the necessity of fighting to prove
> strength by assuming strength from numbers and making the necessary
> accomodations.

In my opinion democracy in its basic meaning is not just a tool to
reproduce the result of a violent process without the violent process.

> I'm not sure at all what a "just share of power" is.

Me neither. But no power at all is definitely not a just share of power.
By posting on this topic I hope a discussion on this will eventually
begin.

> What is the
> standard? If we have electoral democracy, or direct democracy,
> everyone has the same power, one vote.

Nope. Depends on situation. In my example, 49% have no power at all.
That everyone has 1 vote does not mean everyone has the same power. It
is only a formal equality.

> This entity that supposedly
> has oppressive power is not a person, nor is it, generally, a
> faction. The "majority" is merely a grouping in any decision, the
> grouping that outnumbers the other.

Does that matter? It is a group that can rule without regard of the
others. Often this group is known in advance and is pretty stable over
time.

> And in pure democratic process, there are only two groups, and no
> decision is made unless one outnumbers the others. I.e., if the Yes
> faction outnumbers, the No faction, the motion prevails; otherwise,
> it fails.

What you call a "pure democratic process" is just what I claim is not
democratic at all, for the given reasons.

> Giving the "minority" a "share of power" means making decisions
> contrary to the consent of the majority.

Of course, that's what it is all about: The majority will not get its
will all the time, only more often than the minority.

> But "sharing power" is not a
> goal of democracy; rather, the common welfare is.

Who says so? And what is "common welfare" by the way? If I remember
correctly, you were not very delighted when I proposed to use welfare
economical measures in voting theory...

> The goal is to make
> wise decisions; a rough standard of wisdom is consensus; but it is
> considered, sometimes, necessary to make decisions without consensus,
> so a *minimum* standard is set, and the minimum is obvious: a
> majority.

Please look at the example again. The only thing that's obvious about is
is that the majority is not a good approximation of consensus, whereas
the compromise option C is a perfect consensus!

> Below that point, the thinking would go, it is more likely
> that the proposed action is unwise than that it is wise.

This reminds me of Ramon Llulls reasoning that there will always be a
beats-all-winner: He claimed that always at least half of the
electorate will judge correctly what the god-wanted option is.

> Democracy uses, aggregates, the *judgement* of the people. It is not
> a grant of power; the people have their power, and it is not
> something given to them by government;

By government? How does that come into play here?

> Jobst has not thought these matters through, it appears.

Your appearance fails here.

> > > If C wins, the B supporters gain 60% utility, that's large. If
> > > they pay the A voters the equivalent of the A loss, 20%, they are
> > > still way ahead.
> >
> >You still assume that their is a "loss" to the A voters.
>
> Comparatively, yes. And I gave an example showing that.
>
> >  But that is just wrong: the A voters have no right to the election
> > of A, it is not their property which they can "loose".
>
> Lose.

I'm so sorry for my bad English and would prefer a discussion in German.
However, I think you know what I meant.

> Let me put it this way: you assert this, but you have done nothing
> that establishes that the majority does *not* have the right to its
> preference.

The old ontological problem: One claims something exists, the other
claims it does not. Who must prove it?

> Every legislative body in actual existence, with actual sovereignty,
> gives the majority this power. On what basis do you assert that this
> is not a right?

What we are discussing here is (at least I thought so) the theory of
election methods or, more generally, group decision methods. This is a
normative discussion, i.e., we try to find out how things should be.
For a normative discussion, it is usually quite irrelevant how things
are now or have once been, only how they could be. Rights in this
context are usually not based on actual behaviour but on a
well-grounded theory which you could call philosophical. In my
philosophy, everyone should have a right to influence decisions
regardless whether she belongs to a majority or not.

> I agree that it is not an absolute right. "Rights" are conventions
> established to guide society; I have no "right" not to be eaten by a
> lion. I have only the power to prevent it, if I do. We grant the
> majority the right of decision because the alternative is *worse*.

What is "the" alternative you refer to? And why do you think it is
worse?

> Most societies establish boundaries over the power of the majority,
> preventing it from oppressing minorities without justice.

But only insofar as certain basic rights of the minority shall not be
violated.

> However,
> the majority can always circumvent these boundaries *if it cares to*.

If that is so in your society, I'm glad I don't live there... In mine a
mere majority cannot, say, change the constitution or violate it and
prevent the supreme court from intervening...

> > > It is a very good deal for the B voters
> >
> >No, they would have to pay for a solution which I think they have a
> > right to!
>
> What is the basis for this *right*?

The basis is the basic right of equality. Since all people shall be
equal, I infer that they should be equally able to influence a
decision. As a decision has only one outcome, this goal can seeminly
only be met by giving each voter the power to assign an equal share of
winning probability to an option of her choice. Therefore Random Ballot
is my "democratic benchmark" with which I compare possible outcomes.

> Jobst asserts that the A voters do not "lose" anything by getting C,
> because they, allegedly, have no right to A. But whether or not they
> lose anything has nothing to do with rights. If they get A, they have
> a certain value. If they get C, they have less value. That is the
> meaning of "lose." It is a relative term.

Yes, and if they get B, they have still another value. The point is what
situation you start with before your "loss" applies. And I think we
should start with the "democratic benchmark" instead of a "majoritarian
benchmark".

> The ratings given by Jobst, we were allowed to assume, are "sincere
> utilities." And part of the condition was that they are
> commensurable.

Who said so?

(Again stopping to read further for lack if time -- sorry.)

Jobst