[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Aug 27 21:06:16 PDT 2007

At 03:58 PM 8/27/2007, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>A democratic decision system should not reproduce what would happen
>in an anarchic world such as you describe but should instead protect
>the weaker parts of society against the majority by giving them
>their just share of power instead of letting the majority always
>overrule them.

Missed here is the background. Oligarchical systems arose out of the
state of nature because of their superior organization. I was today
thinking about the theory behind plurality voting.

The faction with the largest number of supporters could raise the
largest army (other things being equal) and could overpower the
others -- unless they cooperate, forming a larger faction.

Democratic decision systems avoid the necessity of fighting to prove
strength by assuming strength from numbers and making the necessary
accomodations.

While we may think of the goal of democracy as being "to be more
just," or whatever, it has to work on a power level, that is, if a
democratic system attempts to take power from the powerful, it must
have, itself, more power, or we end up with conflict that damages
all. There is nothing worse than an even match in war, it can leave
all sides demolished. It's quite possibly better to lose!

(And, obviously, much better not to fight if it can be avoided.)

I'm not sure at all what a "just share of power" is. What is the
standard? If we have electoral democracy, or direct democracy,
everyone has the same power, one vote. This entity that supposedly
has oppressive power is not a person, nor is it, generally, a
faction. The "majority" is merely a grouping in any decision, the
grouping that outnumbers the other.

And in pure democratic process, there are only two groups, and no
decision is made unless one outnumbers the others. I.e., if the Yes
faction outnumbers, the No faction, the motion prevails; otherwise, it fails.

(There is actually a bias against the participation of the presiding
officer, who cannot generally vote to create a tie, he or she can
only vote to break one. Ties in pure process are *not* resolved by
tossing a coin! A tie means that the motion fails. A majority has not
consented to it.)

Giving the "minority" a "share of power" means making decisions
contrary to the consent of the majority. But "sharing power" is not a
goal of democracy; rather, the common welfare is. The goal is to make
wise decisions; a rough standard of wisdom is consensus; but it is
considered, sometimes, necessary to make decisions without consensus,
so a *minimum* standard is set, and the minimum is obvious: a
majority. Below that point, the thinking would go, it is more likely
that the proposed action is unwise than that it is wise.

Democracy uses, aggregates, the *judgement* of the people. It is not
a grant of power; the people have their power, and it is not
something given to them by government; rather, government derives its
power from the people governed. And government is most effective and
efficient and powerful the more it is true that the people consent to
it and participate in it voluntarily.

Jobst has not thought these matters through, it appears. Good
election methods do a good job of choosing, efficiently, from ballot
analysis, what the people would choose if blessed with the time and
opportunity to discuss and use full deliberative process. While this
goal is *impossible*, because deliberative process is intelligent, it
*develops* decisions rather than merely discovering them through
counting, methods can approach, at least, what would be chosen if
people stuck with their immediate opinions.

Deliberative process will choose the Condorcet winner but it will
also discover Condorcet cycles and could deal with them -- but I've
never heard of it happening. However, there is, sometimes, a better
winner than the Condorcet winner based on naive preferences.
Deliberative process will ordinarily bring this out.

I differ with at least one active Range proponent in disliking that a
Range winner be imposed on an unwilling majority. But a true Range
winner will almost always be accepted by a majority, even when the
initial preferences of the majority would have indicated otherwise.
And it has nothing to do with "altruism." It is, in fact, in the
interest of all, generally, to do this.

There is an issue raised with this by a writer here who
misunderstands what is being said. He thinks that Range advocates
depend on "altruism," a not uncommon assertion. We don't. Indeed,
Range functions quite well with maximally self-interested votes, and,
contrary to common assertion, Approval-style voting or bullet voting
are *not* always the optimal votes.

Based on narrow considerations, neglecting the multiple purposes that
election serve, some assert that personal expected utility is always
maximized by approval style voting. But if one looks closely, a more
sincere vote can be just as efficient, and given the other purposes
(such as expressing support for a third party in order to shift the
position of a major party), can be more efficient.

> > If C wins, the B supporters gain 60% utility, that's large. If they
> > pay the A voters the equivalent of the A loss, 20%, they are still
> > way ahead.
>
>You still assume that their is a "loss" to the A voters.

Comparatively, yes. And I gave an example showing that.

>  But that is just wrong: the A voters have no right to the election
> of A, it is not their property which they can "loose".

Lose.

Let me put it this way: you assert this, but you have done nothing
that establishes that the majority does *not* have the right to its
preference. It can *take* its preference, generally. Why shouldn't it?

Every legislative body in actual existence, with actual sovereignty,
gives the majority this power. On what basis do you assert that this
is not a right?

I agree that it is not an absolute right. "Rights" are conventions
established to guide society; I have no "right" not to be eaten by a
lion. I have only the power to prevent it, if I do. We grant the
majority the right of decision because the alternative is *worse*.

Most societies establish boundaries over the power of the majority,
preventing it from oppressing minorities without justice. However,
the majority can always circumvent these boundaries *if it cares to*.
Sometimes majority must be specially defined: we ordinarily speak of
relative majorities in elections. However, under common rules, an
*absolute* majority has special power. For example, it can amend
bylaws without notice. It's worth looking at this.

The U.S. Senate, and all deliberative bodies, has cloture rules.
Generally, it takes a supermajority to close debate. The argument for
this is that it is in the interests of all that minorities fully
express their views, are given the maximum opportunity to prevail;
cloture rules requiring a supermajority protect the assembly from
making premature decisions.

However, the majority can change the rules, effectively. It is quite
rare for it to do so, simply to win some motion, for it is widely
recognized how dangerous it is. But, in fact, if a majority considers
it *urgent* that a motion be passed, if it considers that great harm
will ensue if we fail to act, to fail to act is to impose a decision
contrary to the consent of the majority, a decision to *wait*. So the
majority really *can* decide to proceed, in an emergency. It will
almost never do this, in any sane society. It will only do it in an emergency.

One of the great hazards we faced in recent years was the emergence
of a leadership in the Republican Party quite willing to bypass these
safeguards, in the U.S. Senate, for narrow and partisan purpose, not
actual emergencies. However, it took only a few Senators from both
parties willing to cooperate to prevent it to avoid setting the
precedent. I'm not sure, however, that this was wise.... for the
agreement was, from the Democratic side, to join in the cloture vote
if certain conditions were met, and the result has been the continued
packing of the federal judiciary....

I want to underline one point made here. The "majority" is not a
person or faction in the ordinary sense. We confuse "majority" with
"majority party," which often is not a majority at all, but a
plurality. And parties are not monolithic.

And the majority has tremendous power, if it chooses to exercise it.
In California, several Supreme Court justices were recalled. It took
only a majority vote. The effect was to shift the power balance on
the court in a way more pleasing to the majority. I'm not at all
saying that this was good, it wasn't. But the problem was with the
political process and the lack of organization to protect those
justices -- who had not been abusing their positions -- not with the
power of the majority. It properly has that power.

> > It is a very good deal for the B voters
>
>No, they would have to pay for a solution which I think they have a right to!

What is the basis for this *right*?

Jobst asserts that the A voters do not "lose" anything by getting C,
because they, allegedly, have no right to A. But whether or not they
lose anything has nothing to do with rights. If they get A, they have
a certain value. If they get C, they have less value. That is the
meaning of "lose." It is a relative term.

The ratings given by Jobst, we were allowed to assume, are "sincere
utilities." And part of the condition was that they are
commensurable. However, the neutral value was not given. Suppose that
the neutral position, for the A voters, is the choice of A. If A is
chosen, they lose nothing, they gain nothing. If C is chosen, they
lose a certain value, and if B is chosen, they lose five times that
amount. This is consistent with "sincere utilities," which Jobst says
he does not believe in, though clearly it can have meaning, and,
under some conditions, it could even be measured.

Whereas the B voters, I could assert, again consistently with their
ratings, might have a neutral position also with A. If A is chosen,
they neither gain nor lose value. If C is chosen, they gain a certain
value; if B is chosen, they gain 5/4 that value.

These statements of gain and loss are entirely consistent with the
ratings given, they make them rational and sincere.

Now, if we assume that the range of values is the same for all
voters, and that one of A, B, or C must be chosen, how can you assert
that the A voters don't lose anything by the choice of C?

Jobst, it's preposterous. You are out on a limb. The sooner you can
see it, the less embarrassing it will be....

Now, as describe, A is the choice that leaves everyone in neutral
position. Clearly, A is a *just* choice, it harms nobody. (Given the
conditions as I've further specified them.)

However, the B voters could get a much better outcome. But it would
cost the A voters something. What in the world is wrong with them
offering to compensate the A voters for their loss?

If they offer the A voters more than the A voters will lose by the
adoption of C, then it is win-win. Obviously, there would be no
motive for them to offer more than the election of C is worth to
them.... but they could offer anything below that and be ahead.

Consideration of the common welfare would indicate that some transfer
would be appropriate, to more evenly distribute the benefit of the
gain possible through S.U. maximization, as would happen with sincere
Range Votes in a case like this. There is *overall* gain, but it is
not evenly distributed.

What if the majority is poor and the minority is rich? Would you
still think it "just" to take this value from the poor and give it to the rich?

> > Jobst regards it as unjust that the majority should be paid by the
> > minority to get an outcome he regards as more just. However, he isn't
> > looking at the utilities
>
>No. Why must I repeat over and over again that I don't believe in
>measurable utility. I interpret the numbers I gave in the example in
>the way I describes several times: as representing preferences over lotteries!

This is a common error. An assumption that utilities are not
measurable ignores that we may, in studying a situation, *posit*
utilities. The utilities then provide an explanation for preferences
and an understanding of preference strengths. To really study
situations like this, one needs to look at absolute and commensurable
utilities, which, again, can be posited. Jobst started with
*relative* utilities, normalized, which are of limited use in
studying the justice of a situation. Quite simply, as I believe I
showed, the justice could radically change depending on the
underlying absolute utilities, which can have greatly different
meaning than the normalized, relative ones.

(when we assumed, here, that the utilities were commensurable, we
made no assumption about the neutral position. What we assumed was
that summing the utilities would produce meaningful anticipation of
the overall value to society. It is *as if* there were cash values
associated with the utilities, though that does introduce the
possible problem that the same amount of cash may have differing
value to different people.

When transfers are considered, though, the transfers, if voluntarily
accepted, act to equalize value, the transfers make the utilities
commensurable. There would be a better way to say this, ... but it's late.

> > The actual
> > consequences of the election are irrelevant to him.
>
>What do you think you do here? Where did I say such a thing? The
>actual consequences should of course be that the obvious compromise
>solution C should be elected without anyone having to "pay" for it!

Where does this "should" come from? Is it based on public benefit?
What's the basis?

Jobst considers C "obvious" because he is making certain unstated
assumptions. I'm not making those assumptions.

One thing is clear. It would seem equitable to me that the costs and
benefits of public cooperation should be equally distributed, to the
extent possible. If this is true, then the transfers I suggested
would be just. How to determine them is another matter. The most
obvious way is by free offer and acceptance. Ideally, with such, we
could get a situation where all voters would rationally settle on a
single outcome. Consensus.

Yet Jobst, apparently, would consider this unjust. Why should anyone
have to "pay" for the "obvious compromise"?

Well, why should one faction get a large benefit and another one a
smaller benefit, if we assume that all the utilities are positive?
Why should one faction get a loss while another gets a gain? -- under
other assumptions about the absolute utilities consistent with the ratings.

*If* we could somehow guarantee that utilities are sincere, we could
maximize overall benefit, meaning that, if it were distributed
equally, *all* would benefit the most from the maximizing choice.

Commonly, it's asserted that Range Voting is great with sincere
voters, but, of course, voters won't be sincere, so forgeddaboudit.
It's an error for two reasons: one is that Range works quite well
with strategic voters, and sincere voters, as long as they vote
*intelligently* -- which is also sincere, but not in a naive way --
do just as well or better, no matter how everyone else votes. The
other is that something like a Clarke tax could act to simultaneously
encourage sincere voting and the distribution of benefit.

Here, I suggested a way to do it without changes in law. All it would
take is sufficient organization of the people, for both the majority
and minority would need to be organized to be able to effectively
negotiate the consensus.

That, of course, is quite a trick, but I think it can be done.
Indeed, I think it *will* be done. It is far too obvious, inertia
means that movement is slow, but inexorable.

> > But this is a democracy.
>
>What is the "this" you are referring to?

Well, presumably, what we are discussing.

> > Sure, one can imagine systems where majority
> > rule is not sufficient for making decisions,
>
>I cannot imagine a system where majority rule *is* sufficient for
>making really *democratic* decisions.

Again, the resolution of the apparent disagreement comes if we
understand "democracy" as a goal or standard, rather than something
completely realizable, and that it applies to each decision made by a
society. There are *degrees* of democracy, and there is a *minimum*
standard for democracy. We have *total* democracy when we have full
consensus. And we have minimal democracy when a majority consents to
a decision. Below that level it is not democracy at all, it is
oligarchy and coercion.

> > Contrary to what Jobst might assume, I have a lot of experience
> > with consensus communities, both positive and negative.
>
>I don't assume anything about your experience and have never said
>so. But please keep in mind that consensus is a much different thing
>from majority rule.

Duh!

>  I should think my example makes this very clear: No consensus
> about A nor about B, only consensus about B being nearly as good!

Sure. But context matters. Actually, the example was that C was nearly as good.

> > However, when you get down to the nuts and bolts of a system,
> > *including how the system is implemented,* majority rule has proven
> > itself to be practical *and* sustainable.
>
>Could you give any evidence for this fact?

Every functioning democratic body uses it, with rare exceptions.
Supermajority rules are used commonly for routine protection of
minority positions, but the majority can suspend the rules if they
consider it necessary. This is standard practice, its everywhere that
people make decisions by discussion and vote.

Some special situations use supermajority rules routinely. They have
not proven themselves stable over the long term, and I've seen a lot
of evidence that, so far, we don't know how to do consensus long term.

Interestingly, this whole discussion has brought out a way in which
it might be managed. Theoretically, at least, the best decision
would, in fact, enjoy consensus from every *rational* voter. But, of
course, not all voters are rational nor would I want them to be.

> > Point is, when you don't have majority rule, you have decisions being
> > made by something *other* than the majority, even if it is only the
> > default "decision" to change nothing. And a determined minority can
> > then hold its right to withhold consent over the rest of the
> > community, in order to get what it wants. Again, it would never, in
> > that context, blatantly do this, but it happens, social dynamics do
> > not disappear in consensus communities.
>
>Therefore I don't consider consensus as a parcticable idea in all situations.

It's practical when you can set up and maintain the conditions. I
think I've figured out how to do that. But I do *not* grant consensus
the right to coerce the majority.... rather, I *encourage* the
majority to seek consensus, because it is efficient and powerful. A
society that can find it will prosper.

> > There is nothing magic about 50%, it is simply the point where there
> > are more people on one side than another, there are more saying Yes
> > to a motion than No. Or the reverse. In real communities, other than
> > seriously unhealthy ones, the majority is restrained. It does not
> > make decisions based on mere majority, ordinarily, it seeks broader
> > consent, and deliberative process makes this happen.
>
>You repeat this, but could you give evidence for this claim?

Not now. It would take a book. Go out and participate in some
deliberative bodies, in organizations where people are friendly and
cooperative. It's not all that unusual! Go study the foundations of
democracy. A lot has been written on it, for centuries.

> > >No, definitely not! I would never propose such a thing! I only said
> > >that those who believe in such measures may interpret the given
> > >numbers in that way...
> >
> > If the utilities are not commensurable, then there is no way to know
> > who is the best winner. If Jobst does not understand that, if he does
> > not understand how normalization -- and these are clearly normalized
> > utilities, can distort the results, we could explain it for him.
>
>I gave a reasoning why C is the better solution than A.

I took it apart, and there was no reason there, only a shell, an appearance.

>  Commensurable utilities are nonsense in my opinion. Nice for use
> in models but no evidence for them.

Blatant denial. I gave an example of travel distances. Does Jobst
mean that travel distances don't exist? What does he mean?

I'm starting to think that what he means is "I'm right and I'm not
going to acknowledge it."

If so, too bad. I don't have time for much more.

> > Essentially, the C-election 20% preference loss of the A voters could
> > have an absolute value greater than the 60% gain by the C voters. A
> > negotiation would expose that, because a negotiation, "You give us
> > this in exchange for that" causes the utilities to be translated to
> > commensurable units, the units of the negotiation. As I mentioned, it
> > does not have to be money.
>
>So what unit will it be then if not money? Please be more precise,

First of all, money is adequate as an example. It is, after all,
intended as a universal medium of exchange. But for another example,
volunteer labor could cut a road through a previously impassable
area, allowing faster travel for the faction that otherwise would
suffer a loss.

Such compromise happens all the time in legislation. A bill is not
going to pass as-is; some additional provisions are added that
ameliorate costs for some faction or improve benefits for another.

> > The assumption that Jobst easily makes, that the C option is more
> > just, is based on an assumption of commensurability of utilities
>
>It is not. Please stop attributing thoughts to me which I never expressed.

That's correct. I was wrong. Jobst is not basing it on such an
assumption. I thought he was because it would make his comments
rational. They are not. They assert justice *with no basis at all*.
They assert justice for an action that could be taking from the poor
and giving to the rich.

His assertion that utilities are meaningless is asserting that all
these conditions are meaningless, all that matters is the abstraction
that, from sincere ratings -- which he essentially says have nothing
to do with value but only with -- what? -- he can assert that a
certain choice is a clear compromise, and such a compromise, it seems
he asserts, is necessarily just.

I lose a dollar or gain a dollar. You lose no arm or two arms. I
know! We'll compromise! I'll go for no loss or gain, and you lose only one arm.

This is what ratings abstracted from actual utilities can imply.

Fortunately, with Range Voting, all that a voter is doing is deciding
to cast no vote, a full vote, or something in between, for each of
the candidates.... S.U. theory tells us that if voters vote sincerely
-- which is usually left conveniently undefined -- Range voting
optimizes S.U., which is a tautology, if "sincere voting" means
voting absolute utilities. With a Clarke tax, it might mean just that.

But Range voting works quite well with normalized relative utilities,
or similarly exaggerated ones, which *on average* will correspond
fairly closely -- usually -- to absolute utilities, for the purpose
of aggregation and decision.

>(I stopped reading your post here because it was getting too nasty.)

I write about what I can see. Sometimes I'm too blunt. Sorry.